Thursday, July 22, 2010

Intermission complete

It's funny how easy it is (for me, anyway) to fall out of blogging. You find yourself in a rut -- I hate my job. I'm on the computer all day; why would I want to log on at home? -- and next thing you know, you've hardly posted in weeks.

This time, I was pretty sure I was done. At least for a while.

But it's funny how things happen to remind you why you started it all in the first place. I've had a couple such reminders in the past couple days.

The first happened when K and I were discussing our upcoming 3rd anniversary. We talked about last year. We remembered we'd opted for something small and simple, with plans of doing something big this year instead. We just couldn't remember what "small and simple" was. "I'll check my blog!" I said.

The second thing that happened was a reminder of a good part of the reason I kept blogging. When I started this whole thing over 4 years ago, it was intended to be a way to record things that were going on in my life. I had been dating K for a few months, and I knew it was going somewhere. I thought it would be fun to have a record of it all, along with my experiences living on my own in Dallas.

What I hadn't realized was that this blog would bring several friends into my life. Friends who knew more details about my everyday life than my everyday friends did. Friends who knew about things I wasn't comfortable actually saying aloud.

Friends in places like New York, California, Florida, Michigan, and D.C. Even friends in Dallas, where it all started.

Tonight, I had the privilege of meeting the very first blogger who ever hooked me. In fact, it was the discovery of her blog that made me think, "Hey, I should do this."

So tonight, when Girl From Florida and I found ourselves in the same area, we knew we had to meet up. She actually joined me for my kettlebell class, which has become one of my favorite and most torturous workouts ever. (I'm totally addicted, and evidently she's got the bug now too!)

Then, she and her family and K and I went for dinner. What an amazing time! The food was delicious, but the conversation was so great that it was hard to care about even remembering to eat. And when it came time to call it a night, it took about a dozen tries to say goodbye before we were able to all get into our cars. I was giddy excited that I'd finally gotten to meet GFF. I can't wait until we can meet up again!



From this blog, I've gotten a nice record of the last several years. But it has been the unexpected parts -- the connections, the support, the friendships -- that have been the best part.

And that's definitely worth keeping this thing up for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!

L said...

Love this post! I'm glad you and GFF had so much fun together, yay! I've been bugging my friend to take me back down to Wburg soon - hopefully before the end of summer?! It's flying by so quickly already!

Liz said...

Amazing! I have to admit I'm jealous because I've been wanting to meet both you! But in a good way, of course! Sounds like it was an amazing first meetup. So glad you guys were able to do that!

Unknown said...

SO FUN!!! Thank you for ending my trip on such a happy note. I seriously cannot wait to hang out again! xoxoxo!!!