Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ready or not ...

As you know, K and I have spent the last 18 weeks training for our first (and what we intend to be our only) marathon. Our training began on July 13, at the height of summer barbecues and trips to the beach, with a modest three-mile run. We ran through high heat, early mornings, and a few times even late nights. 

These 18 weeks have affected every aspect of our lives: our sleep schedule, our meals, our water intake (we're human camels now), energy levels, sex lives, weekend schedules, activities, gym time (we haven't been in weeks!), our kitchen (we eating everything in sight, and we don't want to waste energy going to the store), and even the tidiness of our house. We ran 9 miles when we were in Oklahoma for a wedding; we ran 12 miles when we were in Pennsylvania for a birthday party.

We reached the peak of our training on October 20, when we ran 21 miles. 

Twenty-
one
miles.

We have run almost 300 miles over the course of our training. We have gone through countless bottles of Gatorade and packets of Gu (let's just say we've been buying them by the case!). We've even gone through a couple pairs of shoes. And it all comes down to Saturday. 

Our marathon begins at 8 a.m. I'm hoping we've crossed the finish line by 12:30 (if our actual start time is right at 8). No matter what, though, we'll be proud of ourselves for accomplishing this feat.

And as a heads-up, if you have stock in Gatorade and/or Gu, you might want to sell it by Saturday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm going to be cheering you on from Detroit! I'll be on the reference desk, dealing with crazies and sending you tons and tons of good thoughts.

Liz said...

Wow, so amazing that you are doing this. I barely made it through my first 5K! My cousin is a huge runner & she ran the Boston marathon. She said she made it through, but stopped a few times to throw up. I have HUGE respect for marathon runners. You will do great!

Unknown said...

I am SO excited for this. I feel like I've been a part of your marathon training virtually and have all this emotional stock in your race! Take as many pictures as you can and do a full race recap, I want to hear ALL about it! Pretty please!!!

And HAVE FUN!! I am SO SO SO SO proud of you!!!!!!!

(oh, and pretend some zombies are chasing you for 26.2 miles)

Megan said...

I've been reading your blog for some time. My mom and I trained for and ran our first marathon in May. We blogged our experience (girlsgorunning.wordpress.com). It was a great experience, and I hope you both have a great run Saturday!! All that training will pay off. As some one told us, enjoy your first marathon; you only get to experience it once, so try to take it all it! Can't wait to hear your results!

Mrs. Architect said...

TWENTY. ONE. MILES!?!?!?!?!

O!M!G!

Yall are amazing.