Monday, December 13, 2010

I have to tell SOMEbody

Over the weekend, we had some more friends (acquaintances, actually) announce that they're pregnant. Afterward, we girls got to talking to her asking how she was doing, and the conversation inevitably led to the planning part. Someone started talking about prenatal vitamins and how you can take them up to 2 years before you have a baby.

I remember from several years back my doctor telling me at my annual well-woman appointment that I needed to be taking a daily multivitamin to make sure I have plenty of folic acid for someday when I have a baby. It wasn't an issue then, so I didn't pay much attention.

K got me started on GNC multivitamins years ago, and I take those most days (when I remember). I hadn't realized that prenatal vitamins could be taken so early. I definitely see K and I getting ready for (or even having) kids in the next couple years, so it occurred to me that I might ought to look into those.

And there's that whole birth control pill thing. I've been on those since I was 18. I know a few women who got off the pill, immediately got pregnant, and then had miscarriages (my mom included, which worked well for me because if she hadn't had the miscarriage, I wouldn't be here!). Sometimes those just happen, and oftentimes it's nothing the mother did to cause it. However, I can't help but think that if I can do anything to help that not happen, it's a good idea.

So yesterday I brought it up with K, slowly. I mentioned the prenatal vitamins, and how you can take them up to 2 years early. Told him I was thinking I might look into those. I've got all my GNC active women's daily multivitamins, but I could do research on prenatals and see how they differ. I could start taking those soon.

And in June, when I go for my well-woman exam, maybe I'd just not renew my pills. Just to get off them for a while before we're ready for any expansion (of the family and my belly).

I softened this proposed plan with a lot of, "Not that we'd have to do anything right away ..." and "Just so we're ready when we're ready ..."

K seemed pretty quiet. I asked him how he was taking it. He was fine with it. Unphased, even.

Looks like we have a plan!

3 comments:

Pink Sun Drops said...

How exciting!! So interesting to watch you go through the process of being ready.

Kari said...

Oh how exciting! You guys are going to be excellent parents...
I am so happy that you are going to start taking the prenatal vitamins before you start trying! This is such an excellent plan
I am guessing that K was quiet because he was trying not to keep his excitment under wraps -- my guess is that he is super super excited!

Anonymous said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) GFF