Friday, December 03, 2010

Let the planning frustrations begin ...

K and I booked our flight back to TX yesterday. I'm so excited! I haven't been home since August, and even then, it was a quick, hectic trip to play maid of honor in that one wedding I didn't want to happen.

I got to see ER and meet her baby, but I didn't get to see any family members or many other friends. I haven't seen my dad, grandparents, or brother since July. I haven't seen ER or her baby (who is growing WAY too quickly!) since August. I haven't seen Heather since June.

The list of people I need to see far outnumbers the amount of days we'll be in OK & TX. So now begins the list -- who can we not leave without seeing? How can I maximize the time with my family, even though my dad and grandparents will be working the whole time?

When do I go to my mom's house (an hour from my dad's house)?

I emailed her this morning to see when my stepsisters were coming over, since one of them told me they'll be spending Christmas with their mom this year. My mom's response:
Not sure when the girls are coming. Didn't realize they were spending Christmas with their mom this year since they did last year. Seems like [husband] and I spend alot of Christmas' alone. Am thinking we might start going somewhere that week since it's just the two of us anyway. 

Groan. Let the guilt trip begin.

I'll be annoyed about it for now, but I'm sure as hell not letting it ruin my trip!

2 comments:

Pink Sun Drops said...

Our philosophy when visiting family these days is: those who make the effort to see us and make it fit their schedule, not make us fit them into their schedule, are the ones who really want to see us and we make the time to see.

The other thing that worked really well was having our renewal party. I kinda thought it'd be fun to have a dinner one night when we are there and have anybody who wants to come, come - that way we get to see everybody who wants to see us at once. Oh and Brando's family always celebrates Christmas on Christmas Eve including presents which makes things a lot easier. Maybe you could start a new tradition with your Mom or your Dad?

PS Definitely ignore your Mom's guilt trip. Maybe a trip would be a great idea for her - to go spend it with someone they love.

Anonymous said...

You're only going to be able to see so many people. That's that . I think PSD is right on the money: don't go rearranging your schedule for every person who can't make time to see you.

And, yeah. Blow off that guilt trip FOR SURE.