Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Xanax, anyone?*

I had such a productive weekend! I was supposed to go to the lake with Heather and Elle, but I had to cancel. I realized that although I was really looking forward to going, it would leave me hardly any time to get things ready for K's arrival.

Saturday morning, I was able to sleep in until around 10. Considering it was the first time since the week before the 15k (that was mid-July, people!) that I'd gotten to sleep in past 5:15 (OK, one time in there I got to sleep until 5:45), I took full advantage of it!

As soon as I woke, I started cleaning. I steam-cleaned my carpet and my couch. I dusted. I did laundry. I cleaned my bathroom.

I took my car to get my tires rotated and balanced. I had my car inspected.

I shredded papers and organized. I cleared off my cluttered kitchen table. I vacuumed twice (once before and once after the carpet cleaning).

AND I managed to watch a little football when I glanced up from my chores from time to time.

Saturday night, I had company. One of our friend's wives is staying in Louisiana while our husbands are deployed. I had talked to her a few times online and over email, but I'd never met her or even really spoken to her. Well, last week, we were getting email after email from the colonel's wife and the family group about hurricane preparations. I sent Krys (the friend) an email telling her she was welcome to stay with me if she wanted to escape the storm.

She called me Thursday night, and the plans were set! She arrived in Dallas Saturday evening, so we met for the first time. My productivity halted once she got to my place, but considering I'd done so much already that day, I didn't mind.

Sunday morning, I drove her to the airport so she could fly home to her parents' house in case she had to wait out repairs from the storm. I think she was worried about her stay extending into K's R&R.

When I got back home from the airport, the productivity continued. I got the oil changed in my car. I organized more papers and straightened up my closet. I did more laundry.

I ran errands and got a pedicure, since I'd managed to stump my toe and lose half a toenail in Saturday's feverish cleaning. (I know, ew, I'm sorry. But it HAD to be done before K gets back!) Then, I met Dan!elle and some other friends for dinner, since they were in town shopping for the day. (The weekend couldn't be all work and no play!)

Monday, I went through all of K's things that were stashed around my apartment. I found his sunglasses, his phone charger, his cologne, his watches (dressy one and the casual one I got him for his birthday the first year we were together) ...

I started rewashing all his laundry. When I realized we'd set aside only one pair of jeans for him (especially since they're loose fit, eek!), I ran to Amer!can Eagle to take advantage of their sale on jeans (fitted boot cut, thank you!) so he wouldn't constantly be wearing the same pair if he wasn't wearing shorts.

I bought a little three-drawer bin for him to use as a dresser while he's here. Eighteen days just isn't enough time for me to go through the impossible hassle of clearing enough room for his things in my dresser and closet! And I'm sure after being in "the sandbox" for over 9 months, he won't mind if his dresser is a plastic bin. Plus, this way, he gets his own space, which I honestly thought would be nicer than squeezing his stuff in with mine.

So aside from buying Miller Light (I'm waiting until Friday night for ultimate freshness!), baking cookies (waiting until Saturday or even Sunday, again for ultimate freshness!) and giving Piper a bath (waiting until Saturday ... you guessed it, for ultimate freshness!), :) I'm all set for K to arrive.

The trouble is, now I'm incredibly anxious. I can't quit thinking about it. It's hard for me to concentrate, and I can't ignore this intense, constant feeling of excitement and urgency!

And I still have five days to go!!!

I'm going to be a total basketcase by Sunday!


*I'm pretty sure the ridiculous amount of parenthesis in this post is further evidence of my extreme anxiety and increasing insanity.

5 comments:

L said...

Oh my goodness, I can't imagine the anticipation! Even I am getting excited just reading about it, haha. You are such a wonderful wife, and I'm sure he will appreciate all the things you're doing to make his R&R relaxing and special.

Pink Sun Drops said...

Aw! Here's hoping you get some sleep while waiting on pins and needles for him to come home! How exciting the day, or week rather, is finally here!!

Paige said...

It is like I am reading my own mind only 4 months ago. I had gone out and bought all new boxers and socks because the ones H had were tinted red/orange from hard Iraq water. Ew. I cleaned and bought new everything it felt like but totally TOTALLY worth it for you soldier to feel good and comfortable. have fun!

Anonymous said...

You must be bursting at the seams! So excited for you and K to have time together. HURRAH!

a tall sassy gal said...

Yayayayay almost here!!!