Monday, October 27, 2008

Homecoming: not just for old people

So I'm a little behind in writing about it (it involves pictures), but two weekends ago, I went up to Norman for homecoming. The last four drum majors of the Pr!de of Ok.lahoma marching band made it their mission to make alumni band more appealing to the ... um ... more recent alumni.

ER and I took the bait. And I'm glad we did. It wound up being a nice little reunion with several friends we hadn't seen in the last few years. (And we learned it had been eight years -- 8 !!! years !!! -- since we were freshman in the Pride!)

College bar chandeliers are awesome!
















We got to practice in the indoor practice facility, which was built while we were in college. It was pretty cool to be back in there again. It's definitely a part of Sooner football that not many get to see.
















































After our little rehearsal, we made sure to get some pictures alongside some of our favorite parts of the university. Also, unlike when we were in band, we got to watch the homecoming parade!

As ER and I walked across campus, I could not believe how insanely happy I was to just be in Norman, doing the game day thing, and kind of reliving our band days. The only thing that could've pushed it over the edge into pure, utter perfection is if K had been there -- but, as I told ER, if K had been there that day, I might have exploded from excitement. (Yes, I'm aware I'm a dork, but don't make me remind you how ridiculous of a fan I am!)

ER and I alongside Boomer or Sooner (they look the same). They're the awesome horses who drive the Sooner Sch.ooner each time OU scores.





























































As we waited for pregame to start, ER and I got to see the awesome new scoreboard on the south end zone. We marched pregame and halftime, which was neat to do again (but a little nerve wracking, considering our "alumni" uniforms left us pretty easy to pick out on the field). Like many games in our college history, we saw Toby Ke!th (he's a Sooner fan!). We won the game (yay!), and afterward, a group of us went out for pizza and beer on campus corner.
















































































I'm thinkin' it's safe to say ER and I will be doing alumni band again next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww. Looks like a great time! There's this house with an OU banner that I see when I'm driving to school and I think of you every time I see it. :)

a tall sassy gal said...

I can't wait to do this next weekend in Auburn.