Monday, October 13, 2008

These clouds definitely have a silver lining!

I was able to talk to K Friday night to tell him about my little accident the day before. When he heard which road it happened on, he couldn't believe how lucky we were that the wreck was so minor (people fly down that road like they're on a NASCAR track). He wasn't mad, but he seemed worried and concerned -- possibly even in shock that it had been such a minor ordeal. We definitely had someone watching out for us on that one. (Seriously, we were going 60 mph next to a concrete barrier.)

Saturday, I went to a watch party at ER's house. It was a combination fundraiser for the 3-Day Komen Walk, since she and her sister are walking with and in honor of their mother, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in January. The party was really fun, and it was a neat little reunion for so many of us who hadn't seen each other in such a long time. AJ & Jeremy came with me too.

































Our spirits were high, the food was delicious, and we had a great time -- until the third quarter. The game was stressful, but it was a really good one, as far as football games go. It was definitely a nail-biter. Unfortunately, our defense didn't do very well, and we lost by 10.

The party kind of died down after that, as you can imagine. I was pretty bummed out about it. Surprisingly bummed out. I had an errand to run after the game was over, and I found myself just moping along inside the store. I probably looked like someone had just taken my dog or something.

As I drove home, I tried to tell myself I was being ridiculous by being so bummed. After all, we'd lost to t.exas. Yes, I kind of hate them, but in a mutual-respect kind of way. They are a talented team, they were ranked #5, and they played really well. It's just one game, and it is just football (deep breath as I say that). In the grand scheme of things, it's all OK (although I still did not enjoy going into my neighborhood Wal-Mart on Sunday to see this):

















K called me late Saturday afternoon to offer his condolences. He was able to catch quite a bit of the game in Iraq, and since he considers himself a full-fledged Sooner now, he was disappointed as well, although it was nothing compared to my feelings.

We had talked about my car and the game when K said, "I think it's funny that you're more upset about the game than you are about your car."

"Wow! I hadn't thought about it like that! It's so true!"

K laughed and said, "I love you." By now, he's learned to expect this after my team loses. The first time we were together when OU lost, I think he was a little freaked out that I was so upset over a football game. Thankfully, he seems to thinks it's endearing now. :)

Speaking of my car, I dropped it off at the shop this morning. It should really be good as new on Friday. It's kind of worked out well: The only damage from the wreck was on my passenger side. The part that allows my passenger's side door to automatically lock & unlock went out about a month and a half ago. It was going to cost $150 to get it fixed. I opted to save my $150 and just manually lock & unlock the door for now (especially since my most frequent passenger is a dog). Well, the body shop is adding that to my claim, and this will automatically get fixed too, since it's in the same area that I managed to mess up on Thursday.

Also, while they've got my car, they're going to fix the spot on my bumper where some punk hit me a year ago and didn't leave a note. I'll pay out of pocket to fix that one, but I figured now's as good a time as any to get it done.

So see? In a glass-half-full kind of way, this is actually going to work out pretty nicely! (But rest assured, I definitely won't be going out of my way to get any other fans' attention anymore.)

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Hey, I hear ya! Perspective is something that's hard to come by for a true sports fan. ;)