Thursday, September 02, 2010

I'll take it!

My knee has continued to suck this week. I've been icing it regularly (especially the last couple days), and I've started taking Motrin again in case that helps. I haven't gone running since Saturday. 

But still, 5 days later, I'm hobbling a bit, and I've continued to clutch the stairs when I go up or down them at home and at work.

Because of that, I decided to wear my brace at last night's kickball game. I wondered if I should even be playing. I was ridiculously nervous about my knee, and I had K do a short, slow jog with me on the field before the game, just to see how it felt. The verdict? Not very good.

It feels almost like there's something missing beneath my kneecap on the inside part of my knee. That's the best way I can explain it. And there was still a slight pain/discomfort there on some steps.

But I played anyway, even though I worried it was a bad idea.

When I went up to kick, I heard some girl on the other team say, "She's got a busted wheel. Easy out at first." I felt a fire in my eyes. I stared straight forward, determined. Afterward, I wished I'd looked at her. I'm pretty sure I'd have burned a whole straight into her face. I know she was kidding, and jokes like that can be part of the game, but I felt like it was a little below the belt. Especially since I was so concerned about it to begin with.

I kicked, and I ran toward 1st base. The ball made it there before I did.  

Damn!

And then the girl on 1st base dropped it. SAFE! (Take THAT, "Easy out" girl! Also, for the record, the girl I think made the comment never made it to 1st base. One of those attempts was killed by K, who caught her foul ball. BOOM!)

That one trip around the bases (I only got as far as 3rd base, since our kicker got the 3rd out of the inning when I was there) made my knee a little more swollen. When I realized that, I told K I was afraid I might not be able to run our half-marathon on Sunday.

When I went to bed last night, I propped my knees up on two pillows to elevate them. I've continued icing today off & on at work. It's still felt iffy, and it's totally affecting my day. Obviously I have to skip kettlebells tonight (I haven't been in forever!), :(  which doesn't help my mood either.

But then, when I climbed the stairs today after fixing my lunch, I was able to make it up almost normally. Almost.

I wasn't exactly upright (I was leaning pretty far forward for balance), but there was no clutching of the rail. The lilting steps were almost even. And I climbed them pretty quickly!!!

When I went down the steps again later, even that had improved. It wasn't quite as much as with going up the stairs, but there was still a change.

Sah-weet!

It's a minor victory, but sometimes that's all you need. Maybe (with a couple more days' rest) I'll be able to run this weekend after all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep getting better, kiddo. And keep that girl from getting to first base the next time you play her, too! :)

L said...

The stair clutch! I do it all the time when going down stairs. My knee has been especially uncomfortable lately. Makes me nervous for my old age. Of course, adding my two cents, I would just be super careful. I'm like you, and I push myself even when I shouldn't, because I don't want anything to 'beat' me. But a couple of times I've chosen to sit it out for a few weeks (which is torture), and I've been happier for it, because my knee fully recovers. I'm trying to have a more cautious attitude and see it as not being a baby, but just being smart. It's not easy, but hopefully it will help me in the long run. I hope yours continues to feel better!!!