Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Screw you too, job!

I have officially been in my job for a year. Yesterday was the day anniversary, but today was the actual date anniversary. Now, no matter how you look at it, I have been sitting at that desk in that job for a full year. Three hundred sixty-five days.

At my first job out of college, they surprised me with goodies on my one-year anniversary (there were actually two of us who started on the same date, so we got double the goodies!). 

At my second job (the one I had to leave when we moved to VA), my one-year anniversary was even better. I arrived to work to find a large gift back on my desk, filled with the company's standard, cutesy one-year gift: a retro silver lunch pail (with thermos, I believe) and silver CD case with the company logo. My boss took me out to lunch, and the other people on my team came along. We'd have drinks at lunch, and there'd probably be an afternoon beer at my desk to continue the celebration. 

Obviously not all workplaces are as laid-back (or awesome) as that job, so I know not to expect anything like that again. 

However, I do expect some sort of mention. I mean, maybe it's silly, but I think it's a big deal to reach one year at work. It should definitely be celebrated with a cake, or lunch, or even a half "Congrats!", half "Thanks for your hard work" email. (For the record, I'm all for any excuse to eat cake -- especially at work.)

But here, at this job I've been uncertain about all along ... at this job where I make about half of what I made in Dallas ... where I can't wear jeans daily to work, or bring my dog, or drink a beer at my desk ...

This job is the one that didn't acknowledge the one-year milestone.

Just a mention was all I wanted, really. 

Instead, it felt like a slap in the face.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I hate to tell you, but most jobs are like the one you have now. You had 2 really good ones in a row. Sorry to break it to you.

L said...

I didn't even know jobs ever recognized your one-year, at least with anything other than a performance review. Never happened to me before, and I feel that I've worked for some great companies! p.s. I'm coming back to W next Thurs with the parents. Can't wait!

AnEarly30 said...

Congrats on making it to your one year mark! No one here has ever acknowledged my anniversary which is a little disappointing. However, when I hit the 5 year mark, the HR coordinator sent me an e-mail saying I could pick a gift from Tiffany's from this selection, so I got a fancy crystal bowl. Ha! No recognition, she just came and brought it to me when it arrived. :( I agree that it tells you a bit about where you are working when you see if they celebrate your achievements and really want you to stay or if it passes by without a word. Hopefully we can both be on to bigger and brighter things soon!

Anonymous said...

You made it through a year! That kicks a lot of ass. If it makes you feel any better, I've never had any of my anniversaries celebrated in even the slightest way. So, at least you got some nice pats on your back from the last jobs. (Yeah, okay, I'm not sure why that would make you feel any better. Nevermind.)

E said...

I'm in my 40s and have been working for a loooong time - never once have I worked anywhere that made any kind of mention of hire anniversaries lower than 25 years. You shouldn't take it personally.