Monday, February 13, 2006

Awaiting surprises

I have to say that I'm very excited about Valentine's Day. It'll be my first with K, and I know it'll be amazing. Last Thursday night when I got home from work, I had a note on my door that I had gotten a package that had been left on my balcony. I wasn't expecting a package, so I was very surprised when I went to my balcony to find a box marked "Godiva." I had never even had Godiva chocolates before! It was from K, and inside was a sweet little note along with a ton of chocolates! There was a starfish-shaped chocolate, an open-oyster (complete with a hazelnut pearl!) shaped chocolate, a seashell-shaped chocolate (believe it or not, I'm just now picking up on the ocean theme the shapes had going...), the typical shapes you get with chocolate -- the medallion/coin, little squares, rectangles... There was white chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white drizzled with dark, dark marblized with white... Cream-filled, fruit-filled, solid, chocolate-filled -- everything! All in one pretty box. I just ate one piece, and since I was going to visit him the next day, I left the rest so we could try them together.

It was an enjoyable weekend that, as usual, went way too fast. It was fun sharing the chocolate. Obviously, we didn't eat all of it. It's in my refrigerator until our visit next weekend.

The great thing about K is that he's absolutely perfect for me. He's a romantic, so I know he has something planned. Unfortunately, we won't see each other until Thursday night. I have to drive there right after work, so it'll be after 10:30 before I even get to his place. We're planning to exchange gifts then, and we leave early the next morning to fly out to Georgia to visit some friends of his, a married couple he met when he was stationed in Oklahoma. I wouldn't put it past him to have plans that extend beyond Thursday.

I'm excited to give him his gifts, as well. I got him a hat and two funny pairs of boxers from his favorite store. I swear, everything he wears is from there. But what's great about the hat is that it fits one of our inside joke "code words" so well. He'll die laughing when he sees it. He already knows about one pair of boxers I got him because we were at the mall a few weeks ago. We were in his favorite store, and he happened to head toward the boxers because they were having a sale.
"Didn't you just say you have too many pairs of boxers?" I asked him.
"Yeah, but I always try to buy a couple when they're on sale," he said. He went straight for one of the pairs I had bought him, looking for his size.
I laughed that those were the ones he picked and thought it was cool that I knew his tastes so well. "I bought you those for Valentine's Day," I said.
He laughed and said, "Well, I guess it's cool we both have the same taste!" He told me I could've said something else to make him not get the boxers. I told him I'd save him the trouble of thinking about it and eventually figuring it out on his own by just telling him there. :)

I also got something for him that's for me. :) I've never done that before, so it was kind of exciting to pick out lingerie that he would like. I'm afraid I'll feel kind of shy about putting it on for him -- since I don't consider myself some sexy, Eva Longoria-like vixen -- but I guess I have five hours of driving to prepare myself to do it. :)

I'm also going to make him a Valentine's Day card. It's more personal that way, and I can say what it is that I want to say. I really have gotten into that (making gifts) especially over the last year or so. I think it's really cool to give someone something you bought and something you made. I spent a lot of time crocheting this fall to give scarves as gifts for Christmas. I hope the recipients all appreciated the work and time that went into it. I picked out the yarn with each of them in mind, and I thought of them the whole time I was making the scarf. It was a gift from the heart.

I'm not expecting K to go all out and spend hundreds of dollars on a holiday that, frankly, was designed to sell chocolates, cards and flowers. In fact, I think a single flower on any other day just for the heck of it is better than a giant bouqet on Valentine's Day, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the thought. Whatever K does, I know it will be something from the heart and something he has done to make me feel good and appreciated, which he does for me every day. I'm just excited to see what other surprises he has in store.

But enough of the mushy mush stuff. I hope that you -- whoever you are -- enjoy your Valentine's Day with a special someone. I hope that your day is relaxing and that on it, someone makes you smile and feel special.

No comments: