Friday, June 05, 2009

Part 1: K's gift

I decided what I was getting K as a wedding gift on October 4 of last year. I was with Jeremy at the OU-Baylor game. Jeremy was wearing his custom-made OU jersey, which has his last name on the back and the number he wore when he played high school football.

Since K is a real Sooner fan now, I decided he needed a jersey. And if he gets a jersey, why not have it personalized?!!! And if K gets a personalized jersey, how awesome would it be if I got one too, complete with my new last name?! The numbers would be 9 and 22, for our Florida anniversary, since that's the day we were legally married. Perfect!

I immediately started searching for plain jerseys. Turns out they are NOT easy to find! N!ke owns the rights to Sooner apparel, but they don't sell plain jerseys (hello, gigantic marketing opportunity!). If I managed to find a solid, could-be-the-right-shade jersey, I then had to find a smaller version that would work for my jersey. Not an easy feat.

Back in December, when I was in Oklahoma for Danielle's wedding (sorry, I never posted about that), I went to the store in Oklahoma City where Jeremy's jersey was made. Once again, the smaller jersey was creating a problem.

I finally found a company online that sold plain jerseys in adult and kids' sizes (evidently women don't wear jerseys), so I ordered them. A month and a half later, when I still hadn't received the jerseys, I learned mine had been sent elsewhere by accident. I got them a week or two later, and they were the perfect shade of Aggie maroon. Yikes!

I called the jersey company and spoke to a few different people before I was connected with someone in the warehouse, who actually looked at the different jerseys to tell me which color would be the perfect shade of Sooner crimson. I returned the Aggie jerseys, and a couple of weeks later, I got two beautiful new crimson jerseys in the mail.

I immediately shipped them up to a store in Norman (the one that does the REAL players' jerseys!!!) to be personalized. They were finally ready just five days before the wedding, so Danielle picked them up and brought them with her to Dallas the week of the wedding so K wouldn't see the box and be tipped off by a Norman label.

As you can tell, these jerseys took months of work and effort, but they were worth it. They looked gorgeous!

I had ordered some cutesy cards off etsy months ago, so I used one that said "you're better than chocolate" (if anyone ever questions something I'm saying, I tell them that I swear on chocolate and Sooner football -- two things most people know I'd never joke about) to write him a note to read before he opened his gift.

I took a picture of the back my jersey, and I placed it in the box on top of his jersey so he would get the significance of the numbers I'd chosen.

I put so much time and effort into it, but come football season, it'll be totally worth it!

1 comment:

L said...

I LOVE gifts with a lot of thought put into them! I wish guys were better at that stuff, too. We women seem to be more creative. :)