Thursday, May 20, 2010

There's a sucker born every minute. This one was born almost 27 years ago.

ER's baby shower is this weekend. I'm flying back to Dallas for it. That's costing me almost $250.

I feel bad that I'm not there to help in all this time, so I've offered to do whatever I can from afar. I volunteered to do the invitations. I designed them, and I ordered (and had rush-delivered) 50 pale yellow envelopes so I could get them sent out in plenty of time. I printed them out, wasted a bunch of envelopes, bought postage, and mailed them. All in all, that probably cost me just under $45 (actually, there was an extra $30 if you add in the envelopes I originally ordered that arrived in a shocking shade of highlighter yellow).

So I'm at about $300 (without the oops envelopes). Then you add in the $50 I contributed with two other girls for a stroller or car seat or who knows what.

And there's the $60 I spent entirely on my own at H&M because they have adorable baby clothes that are so cheap it's hard NOT to buy them. That's my own fault, but it adds into the cost. And so does the $7 ridiculously adorable headband I ordered from Etsy.

Seriously, is this not one of the most adorable damn things you've ever seen?!!! I'm not even kidding, I was THISCLOSE to ordering two just to hang onto one for the next 10 years until K and I have kids of our own (please, oh please, let us have a little girl with springy brown curls!).

Now we're talking about the final preparations this weekend. I recommended some games. ER's sister found some game where everyone paints a onesie. I've offered a couple times more to do anything I can to help. ER's sister suggested I go to Wal-Mart to buy plain white onesies. They're $10 for a 5-pack. We need 30.

That means I'll be spending $60 on onesies we'll be virtually destroying.

Which brings my grand total for this shower to $480. Which is effing ridiculous. Especially since it doesn't include the money I won't be making for taking Monday off (without pay, since I haven't accrued a day of vacation yet) when I travel back, since the shower is on Sunday afternoon.

ER's sister has mentioned that I could help on the day of the shower by going to a florist to pick up some flowers she's ordered. I don't know if that means I'll have to pay for those as well.

I know that I chose to fly to the shower. I'm excited about it. I know that I chose to go in on a gift with two other girls. I know I chose to spend $70 on adorable things I found for the baby.

I don't remember if I volunteered to co-host the shower, but as far as I'm concerned, that was never a question. ER is my best friend. She was my maid of honor.

I'm not sure how we'll handle things at the end -- if the four of us hosting (ER's sister, me, ER's friend from San Diego who is NOT flying in for the shower, and a college friend who randomly volunteered to help) will tally up the shower costs and divide them among the four of us, or if everything will go unmentioned and we'll just suck it up individually. I'm definitely too much of a sucker to say anything about it.

I guess it's a good thing I have my own job now. I definitely know where this paycheck is going.

3 comments:

L said...

Ugh, I feel your pain. It's so expensive to live far away and still be involved in people's lives. I thought my best friend's wedding was expensive, but I figured I spent a good $2G on my sister's the following year. At the same time, some things are once in a lifetime events, and it feels good to be a part of them. It will certainly make me appreciate anything done for me in the future, whether it be gifts or travel or shower-hosting. I honestly don't know how people throw lavish showers; even the simplest ones can be so expensive!

Kari said...

You aren't the only sucker. My Best friend's wedding cost me a bundle. Then there was her baby shower in a box (as most of the us grad school friends are scattered around the globe). Even the bridal shower for a coworker last week, I ended up spending a bundle. Maybe we need some sort of group:)
Hope you had a fabulous time.


K

Liz said...

Don't you just hate that? We went to a wedding in San Francisco (literally a 40 minute drive) in the fall, and it ended up costing us $1K to attend. I kid you not. One grand on a local wedding! Part of it wasn't entirely the fault of my friend who's wedding it was because the bay bridge ended up being closed that weekend, making it necessary for us to get a hotel in the city & a babysitter at SF prices. But the black tie part of the wedding sure added on a lot.

Anyhow, I'm sorry that you had to spend so much more than you expected. Don't pay for those flowers! Just tell them it's out of your budget!