Tuesday, December 11, 2007

At least I got to see him!

Remember those webcams K and I got each other for Christmas? Well, now that he's finally able to get things settled in his own room, we're able to use them. We talked for a little bit on IM early this afternoon and planned a time that we would both be able to log on and use them for the first time -- 10 p.m. for me (7 a.m. tomorrow for him).

I was at my computer at 9:30 logging on to two different instant messengers so I'd be sure to catch him as soon as he signed on. He logged on shortly after 10:15. As soon as I heard the alert that he'd signed on, I ran to my computer to talk to him, eager to use the webcam.

I got a message that he was trying to connect the video call with me. I accepted and waited as patiently as I could for his webcam image to pop up. He told me I was up on his screen, but it took another try before he showed up on mine.

But suddenly, there he was.

We tried talking (our webcams have built-in microphones), but no such luck. Neither of us heard a thing. We each checked the volume of our microphones and our speakers, but we still heard nothing.

It was disappointing to have technical difficulties get in the way, but it was good to see him. For the first few minutes I was able to see him, though, he looked stressed and tired. He was putting his face in his hands, rubbing his eyes and running his hand over his head. He told me he already had some soldier drama he was going to have to brief the colonel about. It was hard to see him so stressed.

But after we finally gave up hope on troubleshooting our microphones and just enjoyed chatting online and being able to see each other, he was right back to the regular old K, showing that same smile and the facial expressions I have absolutely fallen in love with over the last two-and-a-half years.

We talked for about 30 minutes before he had to sign off. I'm still disappointed we weren't able to get the microphones working, but it was so, so nice to be able to see each other through the webcams. When we get everything working properly, it'll be absolutely amazing!

4 comments:

Paige said...

what type of web cams do you use, we have Logitech and we each had to do the latest software updates (that you can find on the manufacturer's website) for our volume to work, but sometime it just doesn't. We have a small delay but it isn't too bad. Hope you figure it out.

Anonymous said...

Jeff and I do the web cam thing too. It's so awesome to get to see him when he's far away. I'm glad you got to see K. It really makes a huge difference!

a tall sassy gal said...

Yay for technology!!!

Stacey said...

That's cool that we have things like that available to us these days. I know it's not the same as having him home but it will sure help!