Thursday, December 27, 2007

Is life ever going to slow down?

My Christmas was really relaxing. I went home to OK to see my dad, grandparents and my dad's girlfriend. My brother flew in from North Carolina, so we were all together again.

I went to OK after work on Friday, which had (disappointingly enough) turned out to be a full day for me (I had thought I'd get off work early). I went to lunch on Saturday with my high school boyfriend's mom, who has been like a second mom to me since I was 17. When we walked outside after our two-hour lunch, I was excited to see snowflakes falling from the sky!

I rushed home and took Piper outside. I made sure to film it on my digital camera so K could see her reaction to the weird white stuff falling from the sky. I took a few cute pictures of her playing in it. To be honest, I don't think it was enough for her to really be confused or excited about what was going on. She did enjoy the freedom of running around in my dad's fenced-in yard with no leash, though. At least K will most likely be here for Piper's real first time in accumulated snow.





























Sunday was my dad's 50th birthday. We went to church and then to his store for a late breakfast. He and his girlfriend (who works there too) had quite a bit of work to do to prepare for Christmas orders the next day, so we were there for a few hours. After that, it was pretty relaxing. My dad made his awesome steak (no one can grill 'em better than a butcher!), and we watched The Bourne Supremacy (my brother and I had gotten Dad the boxed set for his birthday, and since my dad had bugged his girlfriend for so long about renting the movies because he hadn't seen them, we had given him his present early and watched The Bourne Identity the previous night) after.

Monday was spent at the store again for a large part of the day. We closed early, though, so we got to relax at home that night. On Christmas Day, we opened presents at about 9:30. We had a nice Southern breakfast of bacon, eggs, and biscuits and gravy for breakfast. As I was washing the dishes (I volunteered), K's dad called me. Since his family was all together, they passed the phone from person to person so I could have a quick conversation with everyone. In a matter of a few minutes, I had managed to talk to K's dad, brother, cousin, cousin's wife, great aunt and one of his aunts. It was good to hear from them all.

That afternoon, we headed to my grandparent's house. My cousins were in with their spouses, and all my aunts and uncles were in. The only person missing was K.

He actually called me right after dinner. He only had 30 minutes to talk, and he had used part of that time to call his family. I had expected that, since his family was all together, so I knew we wouldn't get to talk long. He sounded good, though, and it was great to hear his voice again.

My family got plenty of time with Piper. My brother thinks she's pretty cool, and my cousin's husband wants to kidnap her for himself. My dad actually seems to think of her as a granddaughter, which is funny and actually cute. (At one point during the weekend, my dad left the house to run an errand. Piper had followed him to the door, and she started whining when he pulled out of the driveway. She's only done that with K, me and one or two of my co-workers she really likes.)

Before I knew it, it was time for me to pack up my car and head back to Dallas, since I had to work on Wednesday. I was surprised how sad I felt to be leaving the house. It had been nice to see everyone again, but getting back in my car and making the drive home somehow made me miss K more. Maybe it's because you're supposed to spend Christmas with your family, and that very important part of my family was not there.

It was a good trip, though, and even though I was sad to see it come to an end, I was ready to get back to my own home. It was hard to get up and go to work on Wednesday. It was rainy out, and I knew a lot of people would be off work that day. I called my dad on my drive to work, and he told me it was snowing in Oklahoma. In fact, they managed to get about 3 inches that day. Go figure, I missed it by a day!

Yesterday was really slow at work, but today picked up. In fact, I'm even having to work from home tonight so I can finish a project and hopefully not have to work late tomorrow. Don't these people know you're not really supposed to work the week between Christmas and New Year's?!

No comments: