Wednesday, December 05, 2007

One-week marker

Today marks one week into this deployment. I'm still doing well with things, but it really does feel like it's been longer than a week. I've gotten so many wonderful, supportive messages from friends and from fellow bloggers, and it's been really nice to read those.

I've been keeping myself busy with work and getting back into my normal routine. I've been going to the gym again, and it's been nice. It feels like forever since I last went regularly, with all the traveling and preparations with getting ready for K to leave.

Last weekend was nice, too. I had actually started to feel sad when I was driving home from work Friday night. I had worked late, which is never a good way to kick off the weekend, but realizing I wasn't going to see K that weekend made it that much worse. I knew I could either be sad about it or occupy my time in another way. I chose the latter. I stuck around my apartment getting things done, and it was actually nice.

Saturday, I slept in until 10, and then I busied myself with cleaning my entire apartment. I even steam-cleaned my carpet. I hung out with some friends Saturday night to watch the game. I had two work parties that night (one was our end-of-year office party; the other was a co-worker's "holiday party"). I had planned on going to both, but the Big XII cha.mpionship was my priority. It was too good of a game, so I just skipped the party. I made it to my co-worker's party, though, and it was all right. By the time I got there, a lot of people had left, and a large amount of people still there had consumed more than their fair share of alcohol.

By the time I left and completed the drive home, it was after 2 Sunday morning. I had meant to set my alarm so I could get up and get ready for church later on. When I woke up at 10:30 the next morning, I was disappointed that I wouldn't make it. I had forgotten to set my alarm. (Oops!)

When my phone rang shortly after 11 that morning, I was very glad I had forgotten to set my alarm: It was K.

It's been a very pleasant surprise how often we've gotten to communicate so far. Between emails, IM and the phone, we've gotten to talk a bit each day. From the tone of his voice and the mood in his emails and IMs, I can tell he's doing well and in good spirits. And while all this communication doesn't make the time go faster, it definitely makes the distance feel a little less far.

2 comments:

s said...

:) yay, for surprise phone calls!

Paige said...

God bless the Im'ing and the beauty of the web cam!