Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The bike training continues

At the end of last week, I was excited to realize that my weekend was mostly clear. It looked as though I'd have plenty of free time to relax and enjoy myself. As usual, that changed pretty quickly but who am I to turn down nice invitations?

Friday night I left work just a tiny bit earlier than usual, but it was nice. I felt like laying around and doing nothing, but since I'd skipped the gym that Thursday night to hang out with ER and stuff my face with enchiladas and margaritas, I was really going back and forth on whether or not I should be a couch potato. I kept thinking, "I'm going to ride my bike 29 miles tomorrow. I can be lazy two nights in a row." I started looking for a good movie on TV when I somehow I managed to accidentally change to The Sweetest Th!ng. It took just about two minutes of watching Cameron D!az and Chr!stina Applegate prance around in their half-shirts with their amazingly flat stomachs to make me literally say out loud, "Fine!" and head to the gym. I got in some good cardio and an abs circuit. Score!

I did my 29-mile ride again on Saturday. This week, a girl who was on the ride for the first time wound up riding next to me and striking up a conversation. AJ and I became fast friends and rewarded ourselves with a pizza lunch after the ride was over. We made plans to ride together on Sunday.

Once I got home, I still felt like being outside because the weather was so gorgeous. I called Topeka, and we decided to lie out for a little while by her pool. Unfortunately, it was after we had spent our hour outside that I realized I'd gotten a bit too much sun on my bike ride that morning. I had managed to give myself a pretty awesome(ly bad) farmer's tan where my cycling shorts (which hit at mid-thigh) and my jersey (NOT sleeveless) had covered my skin. So sexy.

That night, I headed back to Topeka's for dinner. She has a younger sister who has had some tough times lately. The sister is in a treatment program here in Dallas right now, and she's staying with Topeka and her husband until it's over. Well, Topeka's sister invited a group of her friends over for dinner on Saturday night, and Topeka invited me to join them. She brought it up a few times, so I accepted. I hadn't realized that the friends Topeka's sister had invited were all people she'd met at the psych ward. That made for an interesting evening. All these three women (two of whom were at least 15 years older than us) talked about all night were what meds they were on, how expensive the meds are, how good a drink sounded, and about other patients seeking treatment. One of the friends was kind enough to change the subject from meds long enough to tell Topeka and I we're both too young to be married. Needless to say, that was an interesting dinner.

Sunday morning I went to church. In the afternoon, I went to the bike shop and bought myself some serious cycling pedals -- the ones you clip into and have special shoes for. The bike shop guy who sold me my bike over a year ago has been trying this whole time to get me to try the clips, but I had always been weary, especially with my knee problems. Seeing my new riding buddy's shoes, though (so cute!), is what finally convinced me. I'm such a girl ...




















After I got all fixed up with my new gear and had a quick lesson to learn to properly use the pedals & clips, I met up with AJ to ride about 20 miles. We talked the whole time, which made it go by much faster. I really like her a lot. I even convinced her to join the team I'm on in the M$150.

As soon as I got in my car after we finished riding, K called me. He's doing well. He had a couple of exciting things he got to do recently, which I'm sure was a nice change of pace for him. We caught each other up on what's new in our lives, and we talked about how ready we both are for September to be here. I did tell K about the dream I'd had that morning as well, which made him more ready for that visit. :)

Sunday night, I'd planned on going to the gym, but I skipped it. I was tired. I got a care package ready for K and straightened up around my apartment. Before I knew it, I was up later than I'd intended to be. It's always amazing how packed my weekends wind up getting.

Even though it wasn't quite lazy and relaxing, I felt good about last weekend. It was really great and unexpected to have made a new friend, and it was nice to have spent so much time outside in such beautiful weather. New friend, great weather and cute new shoes? What more could a girl want?!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I love meeting new people. Especially new people to whom you feel an instant connection. Of such stuff are friendships made; I remember meeting my best girlfriend on our very first day of college classes. She walked into class late, and maybe it was her fun hat or the look on her face or her response to the teacher, but somewhere inside I knew we were going to be friends. And we were!