Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Considering a reply

I haven't responded to the email yet from my mom. I'm really torn on what to do. I hate the drama and how overly emotional my mom gets. She's manipulative, and she has this reeeeeeeeeeeeeally annoying way of twisting words into something that's a direct insult to her. My conversations with her wind up feeling like I'm writing some legal document because I have to constantly clarify and define things as I speak to try to prevent her from manipulating my words. It's frustrating.

Honestly, right now I'm feeling like I don't want to respond to the email. Maybe my feelings are all due to PMS, but all I have to do is look at the past to know that responding will start another email chain where she replies in some overdramatic, junior high-like way, and I have to play the responsible adult by responding maturely. She'll fire back another ridiculous email or two, and I'll be ready to send her a giant f#$k off reply (more nicely written, but that would be the gist of it). Someone will talk me out of pressing send (last time it was K), so I'll just ignore all future emails until something big happens that forces another round of emails. It's an exhausting cycle, and I'm really tired of it.

It's been almost a year since I last spoke to her, and I'm still tired of her. She has issues, and everyone knows it but her.

I've written a draft of a response. I'm still not sure I'm going to send it, but for now, I'm sharing it.

I wasn't going to respond to this email at first, and to be honest, I'm still a little uneasy about it. I'd love to be able to have a relationship with you, but honestly, it's very difficult. If you want to have a relationship with me, I need you to take some responsibility and ownership for the way things are now.

I know I've been disrespectful to you. I know I've said some very harsh things to you. I feel like I was forced to be that way, though. When you and Dad first separated, you would call me several times a day telling me things that I didn't need to hear. In the beginning, I asked you many times to not tell me those things and to not put me in the middle. You kept calling, though, so I had to get more and more assertive to try to get you to listen. I feel like a lot of times, that's still the only way I can get you to really listen to me.


As for the wedding, I told you multiple times that the decision was yours on whether or not you came. I even emailed you Sept. 7 -- 15 days before the ceremony -- and you gave me a dramatic reply about how you felt the decision was made for you and like you weren't welcome. I wasn't going to drive to Oklahoma and beg you -- especially if you made it clear so many times that you weren't coming. You even went so far as to tell me you'd already spent your money and vacation time on remodeling your bathroom.

You say that you know you've made mistakes that have affected [my brother] and I, and you wish you could take them back. You say you've apologized for them, but then in the next breath (I'm not talking about your email, I'm talking about conversations we've had before) you're basically saying you don't understand why our relationships with you are the way they are. It's insulting and contradicting.

I'm sorry to hear you were in an accident. I'm glad you and [your husband] are OK.



Obviously I need to fill in some gaps -- especially between the last line and the previous paragraph. I just really don't have much to say to her, though. I have to choose my words so carefully that it's just too hard to get into much more.

I don't even care to be on her will. She has accused me a few times of only talking to her when I want money (which is funny, since I've been pretty financially independent since I was 14, but pretty much entirely so since I was 17). Yet here she is emailing me to get my address (which she has) and new last name so she can add me to her will? I don't get it.

Maybe I'm just not ready to hit send on my response.

6 comments:

L said...

Perhaps, and this is just a thought, you could outline the things that would need to happen in order for you both to have a relationship. Like "Mom, I'd love to have relationship with you, but this is what would need to change . . " I think that is reasonable, fair to yourself, and straight-forward for your mom. Then, if she responds in a negative way, you can keep going back to the boundaries, etc. that you laid out. I dunno, that is what I have heard of other people doing. That way you are leaving the door open and the ball is in someone else's court to get help, change their approach, or whatever you feel needs to happen. I'm sorry you have to deal with this!

Mrs. Architect said...

I'm sorry sweety. Sorry families are complicated. Sorry you have to deal with this. Sorry it wasn't your choice, and that you are stuck with it. I honestly don't know what to say. On one hand I say don't bother... its going to be same $hit different day, just like the cycle has always been. But then on the other hand, I fear that if you ever give up...what if she DOES change?

I'll be thinking about you and praying for you, that's for sure.

Katrina said...

I'm sorry you're having to agonize over this; what a difficult situation! I don't know what you should do, but I will pray for clarity for you, and for peace. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Do something different and don't respond. What good will it do if you respond to it? Nothing ...



~Jef

Courtney said...

Ugh. :( This is such a tough thing. She's your MOM... but then at the same time, all she does is bring you heartache. I don't know what I would do in your shoes... except, maybe sleep on it for a few days and then go with my gut.

I'm thinking about you and praying for you!!!

Morgan said...

For me, if I knew what was going to inevitably happen, I would just email the last line. Of course, with our family issues, I always want to write/say long responses, but my husband likes to either not respond or respond short and sweet (like sending only the last line) and it seems to work well. They might still be the same people with the same issues, but at least they have no words to twist or ammunition against us.