Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Can you put a price tag on perfect hair?

I'm all back from OK and Texas! It seemed like a pretty fast trip, what with all we crammed in there. It's good to be back home and to have Piper again. K and I both felt guilty having to board her this many weekends in a row, but we really didn't have a choice.

We're home for less than a week, but this next one is our last trip (yayayay!). K has to go up to New York for something next week. He has to report on Sunday, and we'll be there through Thursday. He gets Friday off (since he reports on Sunday), so we can make our way back to VA slowly, stopping to see some friends along the way.

We're driving this trip. Not sure when we'll leave yet. The Sooners play our biggest rival this Saturday at noon, and I've told K that I cannot, cannot, cannot miss this game. He says he understands. Anyway, so we may stretch the drive up over a day or two. We'll see.

What I'm most excited about is a little selfish and might not happen. I have to talk to K about it first.

Since moving to VA, my hair has decided to enter a whole new level of suckiness. I don't know if my last haircut was just bad, or what, but I just don't know what to do with this mop. When I fix it, it looks great for an hour or two, then poof! Beware of the Friz Monster! It's in a ponytail 99% of the time now. Kinda sad.

I was watching TV a couple weeks ago when I stumbled upon curly hair makeovers by Ouidad. I did research. I looked at their website. I am convinced that their (really expensive) products will be the miracle my hair needs. And on top of that, they have salons where you can have your hair cut to be the best it can be for your curls and your face.

Guess where the flagship salon is? New York, NY. Which is juuuust where I'll happen to find myself next week. Only the haircut? Is over $100.

The appointment begins with a consultation where the stylist discusses with the customer his or her likes or dislikes, problems, etc with the curls. The stylist comes up with The Best Personalized Cut Ever and perfects the customer's hair. Then, the stylist gives a tutorial explaining to the customer how he or she can continue such amazing looks on his or her own with proper care and styling (and products).

I just know that if I get my hair cut there, I'll spend the rest of the trip brushing off people asking to take pictures with me because they KNOW I'm that girl from the hair commercial, or because they HAVE to know who does my hair.

The haircut is so expensive, but you get so much with it. Plus (plus!), it's the salon's birthday, so you get a small bottle of deep conditioning treatment with each appointment. Score! And I just happen to know that the salon has availability this week.

Maybe I can talk K into an early Christmas present ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeee! Ouidad! I've heard/read great things about that salon. I think you should do it. :) Or maybe you should meet me in NYC and we can do it together. Curlies unite!

my life is brilliant said...

Done and done! See you Tuesday? Wednesday?

Kari said...

You totally have to do this. Only those of us with curly hair understand how you can`t just go to anyone for a haircut. Considering where you are getting your haircut, $100 doesn`t seem out of line (and I am a country bumpkin). You need to do this...you will regret it if you don`t. I don`t think that there will be much convincing of K needed...

Lindsay said...

Hah! Ok, so I rarely comment (actually, I know I admired your hair in a comment once upon a time, not sure what I've said since..), but this post has spurred me into action. As a fellow curly haired girl, two things:

1. Yes, OUIDAD! I started getting my hair cut at their Santa Monica salon (by Morgan) about two years ago and haven't looked back since. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but yes, this generally low-maintenance-seeming girl gets $150 hair cuts (please don't tell anyone! heehee). But it is SO worth it I can't even explain it to you. And I only get about two a year, so I talk myself into it not being THAT huge of an expense.

2. Their climate control heat and humidity gel is FABULOUS, but if you like it (they'll likely style your hair with it after your cut) you might want to consider trying Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt instead. It's almost as good (same texture and everything), for a tiny fraction of the price. Nothing beats Ouidad's clear control pomade stuff though for a final "get rid of the crunchiness, make my hair shiny and awesome" step, in my opinion.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Good luck though! :)