Thursday, October 22, 2009

Today's the big day!

I've been super excited about this since I scheduled my appointment. Today, I'm going to get the Best Haircut in the History of the World.

My problem with expensive haircuts is that whether you pay $25 or $65 for the service, you still leave with the same hair. I learned that there's quite a difference in my satisfaction level with a $25 haircut and, say, a $45 haircut, but I could never justify spending more than that. Today, I'll triple that by the time I add the tip, but I'm OK with that price since I actually do not expect to leave with the same hair.

It's occurred to me that I might be expecting too much out of this visit. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. But then I think of the before & after pictures on the website and decide my expectations are just fine. I'd love to leave with curls like Melina Kanakaredes. I think my hair is capable of that.

With all this excitement about a change for my hair, I remembered that I once wrote a song about my frustrations with it. It goes to the tune of Meredith Brooks' "Bitch" (love that song!). I can't remember all the words off the top of my head. I have it all written down somewhere at home, but for now, here's what I can remember:

I hate my hair today
It's too big for me, I know, but it won't change
I tried to tell you, but you look at me like maybe
there is something underneath ...
Hiding underneath*

Yesterday I tried
50 kinds of gel but I'm not satisfied
No matter what I do it sticks out everywhere
I don't even care
Today might be the day I just decide to shave it off!

'Cause I'm Fluff,** I've got big hair
It's a pain, makes people stare,
Make rude comments, wanna touch it
I wish that I could brush it ...


I'll post pictures tomorrow!

*Yes, people have asked me if I hide things under my hair before. It used to be ridiculously thick when I was in junior high & high school.
**I got teased relentlessly about my hair in the 8th grade. A group of boys started calling me Fluff, among other really mean things. It got so bad the principal had to get involved and threaten to suspend them.
I've been asked a few times by total strangers if they can touch my hair. Weirdos.

4 comments:

Kari said...

Can't wait to see the hair!
Enjoy the experience!!

Mrs. Architect said...

What's so funny (for lack of better word), is that I LOVE your hair. Everytime I hang out with you I think, damn, I wish my hair was curly like THAT!!!! It's gorgeous, dahling!

Can't wait to see pics of afterwards!!! And don't dely in posting them!!

Mrs. Architect said...

*delay*

Chelsea Rae said...

I am anxiously awaiting the before and after shots!!!