Thursday, October 15, 2009

If you're a vegetarian, you might wanna skip this one

Our trip to OK and TX was great, but super-fast, as usual. We spent a LOT of time in the car.

We landed in Dallas in time to meet Miss Heather and B for dinner. K and I were so excited to get REAL Mexican food again (and to see Heather and B, of course)! We tortured our friends by ordering Sangria swirl margaritas, which apparently no one in North Carolina or VA is aware exists. (If you haven't had one, you're seriously missing out!)











































After lunch, we went straight for OK to see my family. (Well, with a quick stop on the side of the road so I could show my home state how excited I was to be back.)




















My dad made us his delicious steak for dinner. Since he's a butcher, it's his job to know how to make the best steak in the world. And he's very good at that job.




















Not too long after dinner, K and I headed up to Norman so we'd be there for all the game day festivities the next day. ER drove up to come to the game with us. She also brought us some delicious cupcakes that were every bit as good as they looked.




















For the "game day festivities," we met up with a few friends and walked around Campus Corner. We enjoyed pizza at one of our favorite pizza places to visit (even if it did originate in Stillwater).












































































K and I were sure to wear the jerseys I had made for us! (I blurred out our last name, since I'm pretty sure everyone who has it is related to K.)




















The game? A little scary in the first half, but that's to be expected when your QB has been out for the entire season. I'm just glad he's back! I was also glad to have my new camera with me to capture some great pictures of the action.











































































I even got a cool shot of the mascot crowd-surfing. Here's a semi-fun fact for you: Many Sooners call these mascots (there are two) the horse-pig, since they look like half-horse, half-pig. The mascots are a new addition to the University of Oklahoma. They came along in the fall of 2005, just a couple months after I graduated. Our real mascot -- the fabulous two-horse-drawn Sooner Schooner -- isn't able to travel to all the away games, and some programs won't even allow the schooner on their field. The horse-pigs were someone's solution to that problem. I must say I'm not a fan of the mascots either, since everyone knows all football fans stick to tradition. This move did knock them up a couple notches in my book, though.




















Since ER, her sister (who was also at the game) and I are all former OU band members, we watched the post-game concert. When they "gave the go-go" (Sooner band translation: started playing the drum intro to "Boomer Sooner"), we were all super excited to get to give the longhorns-down, as opposed to the No. 1 finger. See, the end of the game marked the beginning of OU-texas week, which all college football fans know about. (And if you were reading my blog this time last year, you might remember that I've even accidentally sacrificed my car due to my love of this week in football.)




















After the game, I convinced my friends to eat dessert before dinner. See, one of the things I'd missed most about Norman is my favorite dessert. It's an amazing custard place that was started by an OU grad just 5 years ago. In October and November, they have their special seasonal pumpkin pie custard that is Ah.Maze.Ing. When I realized our visit to Norman would coincide with the appearance of this delicious treat, I was almost as excited as I was when we booked our trip to begin with. My pumpkin pie custard was every bit as yummy (if not more) than I remembered it to be.







































Sunday morning, we headed back to my hometown for more time with my family ... and more meat (oh, the life of a butcher's daughter). Mmm, pork chops!




















Monday, we headed back to the Dallas airport, but not before stopping for lunch at Potbelly to fulfill another food fix we can't take care of in VA.

This was a fast trip, but we'll head back in December or January. With so much delicious food that we can only get in OK and TX, we may have to get a one-way ticket and jog our way back to VA!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want some of that Pumpkin Pie Custard right. this. second.

L said...

I'm with A! That food looks and sounds as ah-ma-zing as you say it was. I forgot that we don't have Potbelly in VA. They are on practically every corner in DC. I love their shakes and cookies!

Mrs. Architect said...

I thought Potbellys was everywhere up there. They even have them in airports in the northeast! Why are we jsut stuck with mcd's, burger king and starbucks in out airports here??

I love love love potbellys!! The italian...mmm mmm mmm!!!!