Monday, November 23, 2009

A question for the moms -- and the experienced "aunt"s!

My cousin is pregnant, and she's due Feb. 2. She went into labor last Thursday night. Now, she's in the hospital, and she has to stay there until the baby arrives. The doctors are doing all they can to delay the birth, and for now, it's working.

My cousin seems to be handling it pretty well. Her facebook updates are upbeat and positive. She's way tougher than I would be!

Since she'll likely be in the hospital on Thanksgiving, I think it would be nice to send her a little treat. I'm planning on making some pumpkin cream cheese muffins tonight for us to have this week and on Thanksgiving morning. I think those would be a nice, delicious Thanksgiving surprise to send to my cousin ... but I don't have much experience with pregnancy. Do you moms (and those of you who know more about this!) think that would be OK to send, or is it too unhealthy for mom and baby? (If it helps, I'm pretty sure my cousin isn't a big health nut.)

In addition to your advice, prayers for my cousin and her baby would be appreciated. I'm eager to see her baby pictures, but I want her baby to be as healthy as possible when he or she makes the big entrance!

8 comments:

Morgan said...

I think the muffins would be perfect. And, I'm sure she'll REALLY appreciate the fact that you're thinking of her and want to do something special. Such a good cousin! : )

Unknown said...

Wow, she is due 2 days after me, and I am so scared of going into labor this early! I bet she would LOVE the muffins- they sound delicious. Actually, I would love some too... would you share the recipe? She'd probably appreciate some magazines to keep her company as well, I'm sure she'll be bored out of her mind asap!!

Hopefully she can make it at least another 2-4 weeks before baby arrives!!

Liz said...

I agree with the other two experienced moms above (both of whom are pregnant right now, so they would know!)... they will be perfect. They sound so yummy & I'm sure she'll love them.

oyveyheyhey said...

I went into labor unexpectedly, four months too early, and was hospitalized. I remember how awful eating that hospital food was every day, and I would have given ANYTHING for something as yummy as those muffins. I say go for it!

Also, magazines never hurt. :)

L said...

oh yes, send muffins! such a thoughtful thing to do!

I will pray for her and baby.

PAMMIE said...

OMG you are adorable! Of COURSE you can send the muffins! Anything that will give mom and baby much needed calories/fat for nice healthy growth. Take it from an OB nurse, and an experienced mom!

It is so hard to stay in the hospital for days on end...if you can even just try to talk with her on a regular basis I bet she'd really like that. Husbands work, family lives out of town, and a lot of times moms are alone in their rooms. Looking forward to talking to you would probably be such a comfort.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Muffins! And, if for whatever reason she can't/doesn't want to eat them, I'm sure she'd be thrilled to share them with her nurses or visitors. I say go for it!

When my aunt was in the hospital, she always went wild when I brought her food. Something that wasn't bland hospital food was always so appreciated.

chirky said...

Oh, wow. That is very early to go into labor - I think that staying in the hospital that whole time would make your muffins even more special. Great idea! It depends on what hospital she's at - ask her how the food is there - that may determine what kind of treats she might like (in the future, if she ends up staying at the hospital long-term). For example, my hospital had AWESOME food (this coming from a foodie; it really was surprising) - but a week later when we were admitted to another hospital, the food was NASSSSTTYYYY. So bad that we actually ended up ordering pizza and having it delivered.

Anyway, that was a long-winded way to say that this is a lovely idea, and your cousin will be delighted!