Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Jury is back, and it's not good

I'm not a quitter. I don't want to be, anyway. But I hate this job.

There's nothing really bad about it, I guess. It's not unbearable. But I don't like it. My coworkers are OK, but the work itself? Not so good. I thought when I applied that this would be an admin/editing job. It's neither. It's entirely data entry. For a newspaper.

A newspaper.

I'm not a newspaper person. I struggled with that at my first job in Dallas. I felt like an outsider wandering the halls while everyone around me tried to figure out how to get people to subscribe to the paper again. I didn't subscribe, and I didn't want to.

The money isn't that good here. Not good enough to convince me to stay. But I can tough it out for the two months the job lasts, right?

Only there's so much memorization. So many special cases, and so many things that change on a regular basis. I've noticed myself zoning out when I get crazy code updates. I can't justify paying attention and committing these thigns to memory if I'm just going to be here for two months.

No matter what happens, I'm not in it for the long haul, so I've decided it's not worth the effort. It's nice earning a paycheck again (even if it is smaller than what it was 6 months ago). But is that enough reason to stay at a job that's not worth the effort?

For now, I've decided that my job search is not only back on, but it's in high gear. If I can find a job -- any job -- to take the place of this one, I can justify leaving to myself. But until then, I'll continue what I'm doing now: Thinking every five minutes about how much I'd like to just get up and never come back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness. It sounds just awful. Not everything is a perfect fit for everyone. Do what's best for you. XOXOX

Anonymous said...

p.s. I emailed Meg pictures of your hair this morning. I got this in return:

"Is it still like that though?! Does it do that EVERY DAY? We're going to NYC."

So I think I'll need a little information from you, when you have a second. If you don't mind. :) Hit me up on my blog or email somidwesern@yahoo.com!

Anonymous said...

uhhhh. somdiwestern@yahoo.com. Am a fool.