Monday, November 30, 2009

I definitely called my family 9 billion times while preparing this meal

The night before Thanksgiving, I did not sleep well at all. I was so worried about everything I had to make, none of which I'd made before. I tossed and turned, and I had the weirdest dreams. In fact, one was so weird that it made me forget all the others: I actually dreamed that a starfish somehow found its way from the ocean, through the water lines, into our refrigerator ... and into the pecan pie sitting inside. (I didn't even make the pie -- I bought it!) So in the dream, when I pulled the pie out of the refrigerator and carried it to the table for our friends, I was horrified to find a starfish writhing around in the pie, with a couple of its arms sticking out of the top. (I told you it was a crazy dream!)

Thank goodness, I was worried for nothing. I made a few rookie mistakes, but nothing that affected the flavor. And they're all mistakes I'm sure K and I will laugh about when we recall our first Thanksgiving playing hosts:

1) The pumpkin roll that we accidentally rolled the wrong way (we made it short & wide rather than long & thin).




















2) Having to turn my family's traditional sweet potato balls into a sweet potato casserole, since I forgot to drain the yams before mixing the other ingredients. (It's very difficult to make a solid ball with a liquid.)

3) The stress of making the dressing. My mom's "recipe" had only a list of ingredients (cornbread, sage, broth from giblets, salt, etc.), but no specific amounts. "Season to taste" doesn't help a new cook very much! The dressing wound up being everyone's favorite part, and it tasted just like my mom's, so I was relieved!

We made our cranberry sauce the night before Thanksgiving. It looked beautiful as it cooked, and it made the house smell amazing. Thanksgiving Day, we were pleased to find it was just as delicious as it looked and smelled! I'll definitely be making this again (although it was a TON for four people).




















K did an awesome job frying (and preparing) the turkey. It was delicious!

























































Piper was eager to help clean up any turkey K accidentally dropped.




















We wound up with a lot of food for four people (we had planned on my brother being here as well, but he didn't come in until Friday), but it was delicious! Since it was our first attempt, I cheated on a few more things than I'd have liked (gravy from a jar, store-bought pie), but we took on a lot for first-timers! Considering we cooked fresh green beans and used fresh cranberries for the sauce, I'd say we did well. K told me several times how proud of me he was, and how I should be proud of myself for doing such a great job.

(I can't believe I forgot to get a picture once the turkey was on the table -- wait, yes I can! Everything smelled delicious, and I was starving! Trust me, the table was packed.)





























I'd say Thanksgiving was a success!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Look at you! I'm proud, too! And and not a starfish in sight! :)

L said...

Wow! You should be proud of yourself! I wouldn't have slept much the night before either. I'm sure this dinner did a lot to boost your confidence in the kitchen. I'm learning that you can only gain that through trial and error. Practice makes perfect! :) It all looks delicious.

Kari said...

You guys did great!! You are both naturals!! I see many more cooking posts to come :)


Kari