Wednesday, March 02, 2011

I'm still pissed at you, AirTran, but thanks for the motivation

I already posted about the drama that took place once we arrived in Orlando. Believe it or not, the trip started off with even more drama.

K and I were set to fly out just before noon. Friends who were also going to the wedding from NYC left on a flight that morning that stopped in our area on its way. We had booked our flight so we would join them on that layover. We were set to arrive in sunny Orlando around 2 p.m. -- just in time to enjoy the pool.

K and I got to the airport and got checked in an hour before the flight. We picked up Chick-fil-A -- our friends' request, which we were happy to fulfill (there's no CFA in NYC, and we love the food so much that we get pumped for "CFA days"). When we checked in, the airline didn't give us tickets, telling us instead to get them at the gate. Weird, but whatever.

Except when we got to the gate, they told us the flight was overbooked. I know this happens a lot, so I didn't think much of it. Until the gate was empty, save for us and another couple, and the employees didn't seem to have any plans of letting us on that flight. We had some real Meet the Parents moments as the gate attendants spoke on their little loudspeakers even though we were the only ones there and were standing right in front of them.

We began getting nervous, so we started asking questions. Evidently none of us actually selected a seat when we booked our flight. I never do that if there aren't two together. Sometimes you have to pay extra to book a seat, and most times the people at the counter are able to get K and me seats together anyway. If not, well, I really don't care where I sit, so I figured it was no big deal.

Silly me, I had thought that when I clicked "Book Tickets," I was reserving my seat on the flight. Boy, was I wrong.

The other way around the overbooking mess is to check in online -- which, of course, is not free with AirTran -- and we never do that because I think it's ridiculous that online check-in even exists.

Anyway, you can see where this is going. Door closes. Jetway leaves. So does plane. K and I (and other couple) still at airport.

Dis. Like.

(In case you're wondering, the employees were kind enough to deliver the CFA to our friends.)

The four of us left standing were none to happy about it. To appease us, AirTran generously (whatever -- they said it doesn't cost them a thing) gave us each a round-trip ticket to anywhere AirTran flies. They booked us on a flight through Charlotte (our original flight had been direct), where we could attempt standby on two earlier flights before settling for our guaranteed seats on a 10 p.m. flight.*

Defeated, K and I went back home to wait out our layover. We watched Couples Retreat, a movie we'd DVR'd months ago. Despite two weddings and 3.5 years of marriage, K and I have still never been on a honeymoon (we had planned on going back to Destin, where we got married, last September ... but the whole oil spill nixed that trip), and the only trip we've taken by ourselves without meeting other people at our destination was a 36-hour ski trip that I spent sick (I try to time all illnesses with vacations).

When the movie showed the couples arriving at their tropical resort, I immediately teared up. I hadn't realized how badly I've been wanting to go on a nice trip together -- alone.

Only now, we have these nice little tickets to anywhere AirTran flies. The gate attendants told us their priciest flight is to Montego Bay, which can run up to $1200.

Free airfare to Jamaica sounds pretty dang good.

*In case you're wondering, our first standby attempt was successful, so we arrived in Orlando at 8 p.m. ... which is where my first post picks up. A crappy** trip, from start to finish. 
**Badum ching!

3 comments:

a tall sassy gal said...

Jamaica does sound good. I hope you can work it out!

Kari said...

I think they also fly to Aruba!
Beach vacations are fun! Hope you guys can work it out!

Anonymous said...

Eeee! Jamaica! That sounds fantastic. But you are NOT allowed to get sick, got it?