Thursday, March 24, 2011

Is this length gonna cut it?

Friends, I need your help. Badly.

I have been growing out my hair since October of 2009. It started on accident. I'd gotten a fantastic haircut, and by January, I couldn't believe how long my hair had gotten. I decided to keep going and donate it. It would take no time at all!

Only my hair decided to stop growing as quickly, and along the way I tried to get a couple basic maintenance trims that turned into full-on haircuts, thanks to overzealous stylists who didn't pay attention to my "half-inch or inch at the most. I'm growing it to donate it" instructions. Those set me back a few months, and it happened twice. Yuck.

So now here I am, seventeen months later, ridiculously ready to hack off my hair. For months I've been getting more and more anxious to see it all go. It's in my way; it's in K's way. I'm ready to get to put layers back in it. I'm ready for my hair to be my hair.

I mentioned this to a coworker a couple weeks ago, so she decided to measure it for me. She told me it's 10" long at the middle of my back from my shoulders, and it's 8" on the sides, with the (grown out) layers that frame my face. I only need 8" for the Beautiful Lengths donation I intend to make. Suh-weet!

I excitedly scheduled my appointment last week. I'm supposed to go in this Saturday.

Only now I'm getting cold feet.

I had K remeasure my hair just in case. Nine inches from the bottom of my curly hair is right at my shoulders. That could be bad. If my hair gets cut above my shoulders, it becomes horizontal. I'll have to straighten it, which is a huge pain, until it grows out.

But what if I'm so nervous about having my hair long enough after the cut that I don't let them cut enough, and it all just has to get thrown out because it's unusable? What a waste!

What if the layers I told the stylists to ignore (and they didn't) make the majority of my hair unusable?


(And what if the hair gets lost in the mail before it gets to the company? Agh!)


Let me give you a visual here.
I will donate to Beautiful Lengths, which requires an 8" donation. I figure I'll give them 9", just to be sure they have enough. (Also, for those of you who clicked the link from my last major haircut, for the record, I do own other shirts than this one.)
That rubber band -- where my hair will be cut -- is dangerously close to my shoulders. Like potentially ugly close to my shoulders. Since my hair is curly, it will likely kink up and be above them. 

My options: 
  • Cancel the appointment and reschedule for a later date (May, maybe?). 
  • Cancel the appointment, immediately begin taking prenatal vitamins for the next 4 weeks. Then switch back to my vitapaks so those aren't wasted ... and when those are finished, resume the prenatals, since we planned on having me start those anyway.
  • Go to the appointment, hack off my hair, and straighten it for a few weeks -- potentially with some prenatals in the mix -- until the awkward stage is over. Enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling that goes with knowing there's a little girl out there who won't have to worry about how she'll look when her illness takes her hair because of my donation and Beautiful Lengths.
  • Go to the appointment and donate my straightened hair. That means less taken while still meeting the requirements, and I'll still have more left after the donation. Hopefully everyone wins. I may or may not have to use the straightener and prenatal post-haircut option. But I'll still get the warm fuzzy feeling.
My hair has been close to shoulder-length before. Maybe it'll look OK.
Either way, please feel free to weigh in. Either way, I am donating. It's just a matter of when (and how I deal with it post-cut).

With something as important as hair, I feel like I just can't make this decision on my own!

4 comments:

Liz said...

I say go for it now. You've waited a long time for this, you have more than enough to donate, and I think your hair will look great shoulder length. I honestly prefer most women with shoulder length hair. Not really short, but not really long either. Really long hair, while it looks good from the back, makes most women's faces look longer. You have always looked beautiful to me, but a shorter length for awhile might feel refreshing.

Mrs. Architect said...

I say go for it! And just cut the 8 inches, so it isnt too short and you end up not liking it. (It will for sure feel shorter when you curl it and it scrunches up! I've been there!)

They probably NEED less than that, but tell people eight, so they can get for sure get what they need. I highly doubt their requirement is the minimum they need to do anything with.

And holy cow!!! I can't believe your hair has gotten so long!!! It looks awesome!! (Of course it looks awesome shorter too!)

Pink Sun Drops said...

I have a strange question. If you cut it straightened, will it still curl up after it gets wet again?

Any way, I'm with Goldilocks on the 8" not being the minimum. Plus if you decide to cut your hair while it's curly that will really be 10"-12" or longer.

Anonymous said...

I think this is a really good thing you are doing. My hairdresser is a wise woman. Not many men know this, but cancer is devastating to women because it usually robs them of the 2 things that make women, women. Their hair and their boobs.

So for a woman to donate her hair to a woman who has lost hers is a very cool thing.