Friday, March 18, 2011

Looking for advice

Jewelry Storage


I've been expanding my jewelry collection over the last couple years, thanks first to H&M and now to friends having jewelry parties (gotta show my support!). My jewelry box just isn't going to cut it anymore. 

I've seen those cute little frames with the wires on them, but those only hold so much. And there are these, which are charming, but I'd like my storage system to not cost too much more than I'd spend on the jewelry it'll hold. 

I'm contemplating something like this, but I thought I'd check with you guys first. What do you do?


Dealing with Gum
I hate gum popping. Hate. It. 

I think it stems from my childhood. My mom is one of the worst offenders in the world. One of her favorite times to chew gum? In the car. So picture me, my poor brother, and my dad, stuck in a car for hours with my mom pop, pop, popping away.

Torture

I finally learned to make a game out of it, so that's what my brother and I did. We'd count each and every gum pop. Sometimes, it got hard to count that high. But it turned the popping into something funny, and we'd be laughing and shaking our heads over the fact my mom had just popped her gum more than 120 times in 5 minutes.  

She didn't realize she was doing it. But she'd hear us laughing miserably, ask why, and then laugh herself, embarrassed, when we told her how bad it was. Right before she started popping again a few minutes later. It was a habit.

So gum popping is (and always has been) one thing I just can't tune out. I can put in headphones and crank 'em up, and that works depending on how far the offender is from me. 

But I have a coworker who really loves popping gum. I usually put in headphones, but sometimes music is distracting too. And I feel like I shouldn't have to put in headphones every other day so this lady can do something distracting in an office place.

This is a question I've wondered many, many times. I've even found myself at a Broadway show sitting in front of an offender who popped through the show. I seriously think these punkwads follow me around.  

So what do you think: 
Is there a polite way to ask a person to stop popping their gum?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my office, I would just point out the popping to my coworker in a joking way "heeeeey - it sure sound like you're enjoying that gum" but that obviously depends on the relationship you have with the coworker. So, yeah. I'm probably not much help.

Nor am I any help with the jewelry situation. I keep all of mine pretty tucked away -- which means I rarely wear it. Dumb.

Mrs. Architect said...

I have no idea about the jewelry storage! Mine is scattered with zero organization in three different places.

Maybe a trip to the Container Store and talk to a an employee for their ideas?? ...something I should do myself!

my life is brilliant said...

Ooo, Container Store! LOVE that place! We don't have any around here.

I think there are some in DC, which is where I'll have to go for my haircut. Maybe I'll see if I can drop by one. Thanks for the suggestion!