Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ramblings on shopping

So I found out a couple weeks ago that evidently I like to shop when I'm sad. At least in this instance, I got things I'd been thinking about for a long time, and in a way, I kind of saved money. Kind of.

See, at lunch that day, I bought a pair of shoes for a wedding we're going to in early June. I knew what I wanted and had planned to go several times before, but I finally made it that day. After trying on every pair of nude heels in the store, I found the top pair for $50 ... and a really cute clutch on sale for less than $20.

That night, I stopped at Target while I was out buying a gift for a friend's wedding shower the next day. Since I felt like wandering aimlessly, I headed over to the shoe department, where I found myself in front of a pair of even better nude heels for half the price. (I just took the first pair back today.)

Back at home, I took advantage of a free shipping offer at Victoria's Secret by ordering every pushup swimsuit top they sell so I could find the one that would make me not look like a boy in a bikini (and send back all but one top).

And I ordered a couple necklaces I'd been eyeing on Etsy for several months, thanks to clicking on my listing of favorites and seeing one of them -- a hot air balloon necklace that reminds me of our first anniversary -- had sold. As soon as I saw the seller had posted an identical necklace under a new listing, I snatched it up with a camera necklace ... which I'm wearing today.

Trying to sport the double necklace look today ...

I love the camera necklace, but an unintended side effect is that it now reminds me of the day I ordered it. In time, I think that could be a good thing ...

Luckily, these were all purchases I'd thought about for a long time. Luckily, K doesn't think I have a shopping problem (I'm not sure if I agree).

Luckily, I don't get sad often.

3 comments:

Kari said...

Give yourself a break -- it wasn't like you went out and bought a new dSLR!
Love the necklace by the way!

Pink Sun Drops said...

I've been thinking about shopping therapy for awhile now. For those of us who don't do it often, when we do, I think it's more of an 'I'm going to finally put myself first, like I should've all along' idea than actually shopping to make ourselves feel better. If you're anything like me, shopping as a norm usually makes me feel worse as I just spent all that money, but when I do it as therapy I realize I prioritized myself like I should've been, any way, which may've been part of leading me to feel sad in the first place! Does that make any sense at all? Could be just me ;) .

Anonymous said...

You are totally rocking the double necklace look. Love it + love the necklace!

V. Secret totally makes the best swimsuits. And I, too, purchase based on which one makes me look the least like a boy. ;)