Monday, September 11, 2006

Football weekend

K finally called me Friday night. It was actually about 1 a.m. on Saturday morning. I was so exhausted because I was in bed, but I wasn't sleeping well. I was half asleep, but I was thinking at the same time. K and I were only able to talk for just under 20 minutes, but I felt so much better after we got off the phone. I slept great.

The way that K is able to call from most bases in Afghanistan is via satellite. He gets on a phone and talks to an operator, who connects him to whoever he is wanting to call. It's a cool system because he can call for free. Evidently when he called me Friday, the operator said that that's coming to an end. So many soldiers are calling at once that beginning Oct. 1, they're going to start charging the guys to call. I guess I'll be sending him calling cards in his care packages now ...

Saturday was a good day. A group of us went to ER's to watch the OU-Washington game. We won. It was a bit closer than I'd have liked, but Washington is at least a Division I school, and the score was 37-20. It WOULD have been 37-13, but Washington scored in the last few minutes. Oh, well -- a W is a W.

After the game was over, we all went outside and threw the football around for a little bit. It was fun. :) I never played sports growing up, but I can throw a football okay. Every once in a while, I can even throw a spiral! Of course, I took goofy pictures.













































And then came the two best parts -- pizza and the Ohio State-texas game. Now, I like Ohio State any other day of the year, but when they're playing Texas, I love them! And they didn't disappoint.

So we spent all day watching football -- pretty much 8 hours. Whew!

This morning, we went to church at Prestonwood Baptist Church, which is in Far North Dallas. It's HUGE! It's been referred to as the "Baptodome," "Prestonworld" and "Six Flags Over Jesus."










This picture really does the size of it no justice -- this church is huge. I didn't think I would like it because I'm used to a smaller church. It was pretty cool, though. The music -- the choir, the pianist, the band -- was amazing. As ER put it, it was "very impressive."

I went to a wedding shower for a girl from work tonight. It was kinda fun. I wish K could have been there.

Tomorrow is officially one month since I last saw him. What's crazy is how s-l-o-w the weekends are when he's not here. When he's here, they fly by! It feels like just one day, MAYBE one and a half at the most. When he's not here, they feel like three days at the least, and sometimes even four.

K actually called me while I was writing this post. We only talked a few minutes, but he's going to call me back since I'm not working tomorrow. I'm excited because it's the last Monday I have off. This is my last week as a part-timer! I'm so excited! I think next weekend, I'll even order my new laptop! Woohoo!

No comments: