Monday, October 08, 2007

Finally: A normal week!

Behind!
Wanna know how crazy my life has been the last month? I haven't been to the gym since Sept. 13.

September 13!!! That's almost a month ago! At the end of August, I was complaining about a three-day break. I'm sure after a four-week break, my next workout will totally kick my butt.

I haven't read most of my blog reads in over a month. I was able to catch up on just one of my regular reads. But I have absolutely no idea what's happened in almost all of your lives. One of you could have realized your new guy is Prince Charming! One of you could be finished with one of the biggest projects of your life, and one of you might have gotten a new job. I'm missing new baby pictures and wedding planning -- I'm so far behind!

Week after the wedding: Preparing for another wedding
Since the wedding, I feel like I've hardly been home. I got home from Florida late Monday night. That left me Tuesday to unpack, rest and look at all my pictures from the wedding. Wednesday, I hung out with ER. We watched Private Practice, which I decided I'm not a fan of. I packed, and Thursday, I headed to Louisiana after work. K's cousin was getting married that weekend, so I'd taken off work Friday so K and I could fly out bright and early to Pennsylvania.

We found out on Thursday that our original flight had been cancelled. We rescheduled for a larger airport a couple hours from K. Our flight time was 6 a.m. I got to K's house after midnight Thursday night, and we slept until 3 a.m. Less than 30 minutes later, we were headed to the airport. K's dad picked us up in Pennsylvania a little after noon. I showered as his dad finished up lunch. We had just enough time to eat and head out for the three-hour drive to the wedding rehearsal.

I was really glad I'd taken that shower before lunch, because traffic was so bad that by the time we arrived at the hotel, we only had about 10 minutes to get dressed for the rehearsal. I had packed my Biosilk in my suitcase, and the bottle had managed to completely drain itself in my suitcase, primarily on the shirt I'd brought as my single option for the rehearsal. I threw on a denim jacket and tried to hide it. When I shared the story with K's cousin's wives, they looked at me with confused expressions. They had no idea what Biosilk is! Poor things!

The bride had requested that K and I have a dance at their wedding since many of K's family couldn't make it to Florida (partly because of this wedding). She knew we had had a smaller ceremony and that we hadn't gotten a first dance. When she first approached us, K and I told her we didn't want to take away from their day. She insisted and persisted, though, until the night before the wedding, we found ourselves telling her she was the bride, and we'd do what she wanted.

So at the reception, after the father/daughter and mother/son dances, we were called onto the dance floor. The DJ told everyone that K was deploying in a couple months and that we'd had our ceremony just the week before. K had been a reader in the ceremony, and the bride and groom wanted him to wear his dress blues, so he was in his uniform with all his medals and ribbons. We danced to Josh Groban's "When You Say You Love Me." I love that song!

The wedding itself was really pretty. The bride and groom incorporated some neat things into the ceremony that really made it special. The reception was really fun too, and had I not already been to the reception of all receptions in June, I'd have thought it was even better. K and I have already decided we're totally stealing their idea of handing out glow sticks and other fun party favors on the dance floor. But the ice sculpture, crab cakes made in front of us and the 8 bridesmaids & 8 groomsmen were a little fancier than our plans.

Football (backtracking a bit)
At the reception, I realized I had forgotten to check our football score. I had K check his phone, and I couldn't believe it when he told me we lost. In fact, I made him hand over the phone so I could see for myself.

I think the altitude had a little bit to do with our troubles in the game, but I think our players probably were overlooking Colorado too much and looking to our game the next week: texas. I was so sad that we'd lost! I thought we were going to be undefeated. I actually cried when I saw the score.

Later that night, though, I saw the scores from all the other games and realized that if we had to lose a game, that was the day to do it. And after USC's loss (thank you, Stanford!!!), I don't think any team will go undefeated. (LSU will lose to someone this season.)

Back in the South
The weather in Pennsylvania was gorgeous. It was true fall weather, and it felt amazing. So when K and I landed in Louisiana again at about 10 Monday night, we were both feeling pretty cranky. I worked from K's apartment the next day. He had a long day, so I didn't even get to see him that night before I headed back to Dallas. I got home after midnight.

I managed to catch K's brother's cold, so that night, I stayed home hoping to get to bed early. Instead, I caught up on laundry and cleaned my entire apartment. I had a big weekend coming up, and Danielle was coming in the next night to stay the weekend with me for OU/texas.

Thursday night, I watched Grey's Anatomy with Danielle and ER. I'm about on the end of my rope with that show too. It's just getting to be too ridiculous to me.

Big weekend in Big D
This is Danielle's first year to experience OU/texas being out of the Pride (she graduated in May), so she wanted to experience all the traditions of the weekend. We went to watch the Pride's halftime performance at a high school football game, and then we headed to the West End. We ran into so many people I haven't seen in years. It was really cool to catch up with everyone. It would have been nice if I wasn't coughing my head off from my cold and the fact I was having to yell to carry on a conversation, but it was a fun night.

And Saturday, we all headed to the fair to enjoy the festivities and watch the game on a big screen. We had a really good time. We had beer, funnel cakes, Dippin' Dots and corny dogs. We didn't try any of the new fried foods, which included fried cosmopolitans, fried lattes, fried cookie dough and fried peach cobbler (seeing a theme here?). We yelled with all the Sooner fans, and we went crazy when we scored our last touchdown of the game. We won by 7, which is good enough for me.

Still not too late for marriage counseling!
Sunday, K and I went to church and then met with the pastor for our first marriage counseling session. This was just a getting-to-know-you kind of meeting, since K hasn't really ever gotten to talk to the pastor here like that. We got the information we'll need to get the ball rolling on the rest of our counseling sessions, so I'm excited to start that.

I do think it's kind of funny that we're doing all this now that we're actually married, but honestly, it's all still the same. We still live 5 hours apart. We're not joining finances, so all that will be changing from this is my last name and an additional sparkle on my left hand.

So that's my life over the last two weeks. This week is finally back to normal. I'm going to go to the gym tonight for the first time in forever. Thank goodness! K is coming here again this weekend, so I won't have to worry about having to get things in order and pack by Thursday night. Finally, I can relax -- and catch up on my blogs!

3 comments:

s said...

so glad you are back! i watched the ou/texas game this weekend and was so glad to see ou win, yay! i'm slowing finding that this college football thing is a real addiction. i feel off the treadmill during the a&m/miami game because i got totally annoyed, ha.

i'm excited you guys got to have your dance at the wedding, what a great song too!
xo

Courtney said...

Welcome Back!!! I've missed you!

So... uh, what's all this about you and K still living 5 hours apart????? HUH? When will you live together? When will you share money???

a tall sassy gal said...

Hopefully LSU will lose to Auburn. :)

I need to catch up too but I am just so lazy!