Sunday, October 08, 2006

You can't win 'em all ...

This weekend was a good weekend. I worked Friday night until about 10, so I got overtime. That's good, right? Then, I joined Jeremy and one of his good friends at the West End for the annual OU-tx festivities. I only stayed for about 20 minutes or so. I guess everyone had been drinking for quite some time, because the majority of the people there were already so drunk they couldnt walk in a straight line. I watched one guy try to fight a girl and two other guys starting to get into a fight, and I decided to leave. Last year, it had been fun with K, his roommate and my old roommate. Not so much this year.

I got up early Saturday morning to watch the Pride rehearse. They're so good! I really miss the band. I have so many wonderful memories and had so many great experiences from that organization. I remember when my parents came up for Pride Parents' Day my freshman year. They'd started talking to this guy who was a Pride alum. He told them the 4 years he was in Pride was the best four years of his life. I thought about that as I watched them rehearse. I know what he means on one hand, but on the other, I hope I never think or say, "That was the best time of my life," because it seems like a sad thing -- like you peaked and things won't be so good again. I hope I remember my time in Pride as a time when I was able to grow close to so many people, have a blast being in band and experience things the typical Sooner fans (and most football fans in general) don't get to experience. I hope I remember different phases of my life fondly for their own unique reasons.

Anyway, so a few friends all met back at my place to carpool to the State Fair. We watched the game on a big-screen TV at some Toyota tent. It was fun. And there's definitely nothing like the State Fair of Texas.





The Midway, where the carnival-like part of the fair is.











They pretty much fry everthing!








My friend and I had to try a fried Coke. They're good to start out with, but I think it's impossible to finish one. And they don't really taste like Coke.







Big Tex, one of the most famous parts of the fair.













The texas fans celebrating after their win ... not something I wanted to see.





We lost the game. Not only did we lose, but we lost by 17 points. Our second-half team played terribly in the second half -- especially in the 4th quarter. The thing about being a fan when your team goes to national championships 3 out of 5 years is that it's easy to get used to winning. It's easy to be a fan when your team is so close to the top. Watching the Sooners struggle, though, makes me an even bigger fan because I'm proud of them no matter what. We lost a game -- it happens. From the way both teams played, the longhorns deserved to win that game. There's no doubt about that.

All I have to say, though, is, no matter what the outcome of the game, at least Sooner fans don't dress like this!
















6 comments:

Angel Feathers Tickle Me said...

Love To All...

Robbie C said...

At least we don't look like these okies:

http://www.duke.edu/~ja3/ou%20fan.jpg

and

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/rgentry/upkept.jpg

Anonymous said...

Those are great photos! Next year....Next year.

Boomer Sooner!

my life is brilliant said...

Robbie, I don't know who you are, and you've never commented on my blog before. I'm only leaving your post up because I'm a nice person. I'm sure whoever your team is has some fans who look just like the examples you posted. A Sooner fan is a Sooner fan, and that's good enough for me.

Courtney said...

Mini skirt with cowboy boots... really?? Come on, you're not 5.

my life is brilliant said...

Yeah, I'm glad you agree. But there are SO MANY tx girls who dress that way. Especially tx longhorn fans. (and the skirt is usually a cut-off denim mini skirt)