Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Too bad the thought didn't count

Last night, I went to my handy dandy little personal file folder and pulled out my voter registration card so I could do my civic duty today. I got up this morning and got around more quickly than usual so I could arrive at the polls, stand in line and vote, and still get to work at a decent time.

I got to my designated voting location and took my place at the back of the line. It wasn't too long from the outside, and I figured the whole process would probably take me somewhere around 45 minutes. I could do that.

I had only been standing in line for a few minutes when a man walked out of the building and, as he passed those of us at the end of the line, helpfully informed us that we had about an hour's wait.

"An hour?!" we all said incredulously. "Are you serious?"

The man nodded as he continued to his car. I looked at my watch. An hour before I even got into the building? Whoa. Plus, there's the fact that the whole Texas Democratic primary is completely messed up (it's because Texans hate Democrats). We Dems in Texas were supposed to vote twice today -- as if those lines aren't bad enough the first time. We were supposed to vote in the primary between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., and we were supposed to return at about 6:45 or 7 tonight to vote in the caucus. Otherwise, our vote wouldn't carry its full weight. They call the whole process the Texas Two-Step. (Isn't that cute?! rolling eyes)

It was all a little overwhelming, and even though I watched debates and interviews and even did research online, I still didn't feel confident enough about my decision to justify standing in line for an hour and being late for work -- especially if I would have to go through that whole process again at the end of my day to make it completely count.

I turned to the women standing near me in line. I considered changing the words on the tip of my tongue, since they were a bit too stereotypical for my generation, but nothing would express my feelings more appropriately: "Screw this," I told them. "I have to get to work."

Don't hate me. I tried. And my evening was much better spent tonight than if I'd stood in line for a second time to cast a vote I don't feel entirely confident about. Instead, I supported our troops by making a care package. Which I will happily stand in line one time to mail tomorrow.

8 comments:

Paige said...

I didn't realize it was that hard to simply vote in Texas! I am sure the red carpet is rolled out for the republicans though.....*rolling eyes*

Pink Sun Drops said...

Don't the republicans have a caucus as well? Any who you're not the only one : ( . I didn't know WHO to vote for and which SIDE to vote for!! So I didn't. I so wanted to get in on that caucus though... such an intriguing and strange process!

My professor went thru an interesting lecture yesterday on "how to vote". He said pick your priorities, then look at the candidates voting record according to your priorities (and what they say), and go with what most closely matches your priorities. I may make a post on it and elaborate, but that was in a nutshell. Pretty neat, I thought, I wish I had heard that a few weeks ago when I had time to do my research!!

Pink Sun Drops said...

I meant compare their voting record, as to what they have a history of doing, compared to what they say they'll do and see if it lines up.

Anonymous said...

From what I understand the cacauses were taking anywhere from 3-6 hours. Mostly because the polls closed, but since people were still in line they were allowed to vote. So the Two-Step was more of a marathon last night. I only got to vote. I didn't go to the cacaus, so my vote was on the light side.

I think you spent your night quite well.

Courtney said...

Ugh! How annoying. Why would they make it so complicated???

Oh well, you're heart was in the right place.

Now, no skipping out on the general election, ok??

my life is brilliant said...

No worries there, Courtney! I absolutely will not skip the general election. I'll also make sure I'm 100% confident in my decision before that one. I hate when people tell me they just picked a candidate for the heck of it. SO not the reason to vote!

Katrina said...

Yuck. You shouldn't have to take a day off from work to be able to vote! I'm not sure the TX gov is to blame, though. Don't the parties organize and administer their own primaries?

Anyhow, I hope you have better luck in the general!

a tall sassy gal said...

I have to make sure I am good to vote in the general election. I tried to change my registration and I never heard back from the Texas location. Go figure!