Monday, March 03, 2008

WARNING: Excessive numbers and parenthesis ahead

Over the last couple months, I've started running at least once a week with Jeremy. I don't know why he decided to get into running, but since he's my workout buddy, I started too. I've gotten some good results from running, but as I've said a few times before, I don't enjoy it. At all.

A couple months ago, Jeremy and one of his co-workers started this little workout group consisting of a few of their co-workers and friends. We meet up once a week near their office and do 20 minutes of straight cardio and then run for a bit. You can guess which portion is my least favorite.

Two weeks ago for our workout, our 20 minutes of cardio consisted of nonstop sets of 10 pushups (I do real ones, thankyouverymuch), 10 sit ups (I did 26 crunches -- to me, proper situps are really hard without someone to hold your feet), and 10 squats. Twenty minutes of that nonstop is exhausting. (Most of us switched to dips about five minutes into it. When that wore our arms out, we went back to pushups. It sucked!)

After those torturous 20 minutes, we ran 3 miles. Pretty quickly, even. Not fun. Especially after all those squats. Three or four people stopped running along the way (not me!) -- including a guy who ran a 5-minute mile in high school. (Yeah, it was probably about 10 years ago, but still!)

Last week, our 20 minutes was shortened to 10. The guys did 15 handstand pushups, while we girls either did 15 pushups or lifted dumbbells over our heads in sets of 15 in an attempt to replicate handstand pushups as closely as possible, followed by 10 situps (I did 26 crunches again).

After the 10 minutes were up, we ran our 3 miles. We took it slower this time. WAY slow, in fact -- especially since Jeremy and I had run 2.8 miles the night before in 23.5 minutes. As we jogged along our 3-mile route, though, I had a breakthrough.

I enjoyed it!!!

Yes, we were just jogging. But still. I hate running, remember? Now I'm just hoping I enjoy myself again the next time I run. Especially since my workout buddy seems to be so fond of it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never been a fan of running. It sounds lazy, but I actually have no curvature in my back so that tightens my hamstrings and makes it hard to run. A physical therapist discovered it. I was shocked when she asked if I had hamstring problems. I told her yes and she explained why. So you can have my running shoes.

~Jef

Katrina said...

I am impressed. I have never enjoyed running, but I must admit that after all those squats, situps, and pushups, a nice jog might sound like a break! :) Glad you're having fun keeping in shape! K must be proud.

a tall sassy gal said...

Keep you posted if we are going to go. I hate running too! But I think I told you that already. haha

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! Good job!!!