Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Help me think positive -- and decide on a vacation spot!

I felt better last night after I left the gym. I was pretty proud of myself for the amount of weight I lifted during one of our exercises, so that definitely lifted my mood. I still feel in a bit of a funk, but i just really miss K right now. I don't know if it's because St. Patrick's Day is one of the few holidays we always managed to spend together (not that it's a major holiday for either of us, but it's a fun day that we always found ourselves doing neat things around). Last year at this time, we were in Hawaii, and soon after we got engaged, so it's kind of sad to not be around K right now.

What's also kind of sad is the fact that a few of the mechanical devices I own and rely on have decided to start malfunctioning at about the same time. My washing machine is having issues with completely draining itself, so when a cycle of laundry is supposed to be complete, I find drenched clothes that are sitting in a couple inches of soapy water.

Then tonight as I was headed to my gym, I noticed my oil pressure light was on. Not good. I remember my dad telling me years and years ago that if that light ever came on, I was in trouble and needed to pull over immediately. So I called him. My gym is pretty close to my apartment, so my dad told me just to see if the light came back on when I got in my car to leave the gym. Go figure, it did. My oil level was fine, which means the problem is not the simplest level possible (go figure). So my car is still in the gym parking lot, and Jeremy drove me home. Thank goodness he lives nearby.

I have to get up bright and early to risk driving my car a whole mile to a nearby mechanic. In that distance, if my car is seriously in trouble, I could burn my motor. Here's hoping the problem is really minor so that doesn't happen -- actually, here's hoping that when I get to my car and start it tomorrow, the light doesn't stay on because whatever is malfunctioning fixes itself overnight. It really could happen (really!).

To let this post begin and end on a good note, I talked to K on Sunday. As we were about to end our conversation, it occurred to me that September is getting pretty close. "Hey, we have less than six months before we get to see each other!"

"Yeah," he said. "We need to start looking at tickets."

That was surprising, for some reason. I had tried to not let myself think too much about K's R&R and where we'd go for our little vacation together the first week, since it would be far too easy to think about it nonstop. We've only talked about possible destinations a couple times, but now it's snuck up on me so much that it's close enough we could actually book something. Exciting!

One of K's co-workers suggested we go on a cruise. I've never been on a cruise before, so that could be neat. I know we'll both just want to be able to relax together for the trip, though.

We also both want something tropical. We've kicked around a few things -- Hawaii again, Cancun or Cozumel, the Keys ... Honestly, all I'm looking for is a beautiful beach and great weather. We won't need too much of anything else -- we'll have each other.

OK, now that I've made you all throw up in your mouths (just a little), any recommendations?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I say a cruise... there's so much ease and very little pressure of ever having to decide where to eat, where to go, etc. You just relax, eat, swim, snorkel, dance and have a blast!! The Keys are gorgeous, of course, and you could rent someone's oceanside house for a week. But if you want a resort-feel, probably Mexico? Hmmm... so many decisions! Like you said, it won't really matter b/c you'll be TOGETHER!! YEAH!!!

This is so awful, but when you said mechanical things were breaking, I thought you meant... ahh... y'know, PERSONAL mechanical things :) that you may need while your hubby is away! Hee!

Anonymous said...

If you want something easy then ya a cruise is it. I don't like tropical so I'm not much help.

~Jef

L said...

I agree on the cruise thing. Unpack once, but see a few different places. I loved it!

chirky said...

It depends - are you going to buy the tickets or use miles? If you're buying them, you should visit AA's promotions page this summer and choose somewhere "on sale". That way, you can get a great deal AND go somewhere awesome. (I'd say go there now, except that most current promotions are through the end of May - so if you're going in September, you'll need to wait a little longer to take advantage of the deals.)

Anonymous said...

My vote is Mexico! We went to resort in Riviera Mia and it was fabulous! You can get really good deals too!!!

I'm glad to hear things are looking up!! :)

my life is brilliant said...

It occurred to me that people might have that impression when I said "mechanical devices."

I actually don't own any mechanical (or nonmechanical) toys. If I did and they broke, though, I'd probably be to embarrassed to blog about it -- and to buy a new one.

Considering my luck lately, I'm thinkin' it's a good thing I don't own any mechanical toys, since they'd probably wind up breaking. I'm sure that would be a whole other level of frustration!

Courtney said...

hee hee! (about your comment above!)

And YAY! for vacation... Kyle and I are trying to decide where to go on our honeymoon, we're a bit later (October) so weather is more of an issue for us (Carribean will be in the middle of huricane season). Have you considered Europe? Spain has AMAZING beaches! Although, K may be itching for the comforts of home... so maybe somewhere near the states is better.

k said...

Personally, I am not a fan of cruises. I don't like being stuck with all those people. I'd rather relax on my own without the non-stop entertainment they try and provide you.

The Turks and Caicos are great. I was there years ago and absolutely loved it. I then recommended it for my friend for her "babymoon" last month and she agreed. I've been to A LOT of tropical destinations, and I've never seen bluer water or whiter beaches.

Anonymous said...

I'm all over the cruise. Have absolutely adored every cruise I've been on. Something about being able to get food at every second of every day, combined that you get to see a few places without ever packing your bags is HEAVEN to me.

My second choice would be Cabo San Lucas. Although it is kind of expensive. Mazatlan is also super nice and not so pricy or so full of tourists.

a tall sassy gal said...

I vote since you will not have a lot of time to go on a cruise. You will see so much and everything will be taken care off (excluding tips, alcohol, excursions and gifts) but it just makes things easier. You can find some killer deals and you could go right out of Houston.