Friday, March 07, 2008

It's a wonder I made it home safely

I've said a few negative things on this blog about Texas as a state, so when I come across something about living here that makes me smile, I feel it's only fair that I blog about that too.

The weather in Texas and Oklahoma is a lot alike. We both deal with tornadoes, humidity, a practically nonexistent spring, and incredibly hot summers with awful droughts and water shortages. Weather from day to day (outside of the summer) is completely unpredictable in both states. Wearing shorts in the morning only to see snow falling later (or vice versa) that night is something that I've experienced in both states.

In college, though, I was always surprised to hear Texans and Dallasites complaining about the Oklahoma winters. "It's freezing here! It doesn't get this cold in Dallas!" they'd say. I figured maybe it had something to do with that wind sweeping down the plains, but I couldn't imagine winter in OK would be as different as they made it sound. I guess I was wrong.

I'll never forget the first "winter storm" I encountered after I moved to Dallas. All the local news stations were doing regular weather updates before there was ever even a drop of precipitation. Yes, snow and ice were in the forecast, but it was still sunny outside! Our department at work (at my old job) called a quick meeting to let us all know that we could leave early if we needed to so we could be sure to be home and safe before the weather got bad. We discussed arrangements for work the next day in case the roads were "still" slick. I was amazed to hear of the many, many businesses that were closing early (like 11 a.m.) that day while the weather was still fine simply because of the fact snow was in the forecast for that afternoon. And of course (unpredictable, remember?), the weather was nothing near as bad as expected. In fact, what actually hit was ridiculously minor. The roads were fine the next morning.





(from Monday's snowfall)








Until March, it hadn't really snowed in Dallas this year. We got a whole inch on Monday night (it was mostly melted by Tuesday morning), and when the forecast called for more snow this afternoon, it was all anyone could talk about. Many of my co-workers started leaving to work from home as early as lunchtime.

When I left work shortly after 2 (any excuse to work in my pjs!), it was only raining, as it had been all day, but the roads were already as jammed as during rush-hour traffic. I passed two accidents on my 1 mile of highway driving. Once I got home and turned on the TV, all the local stations were showing was weather coverage. One station had even overdramatically labeled it "Major Winter Storm."

Even though the snow stopped hours ago, the gym tonight was completely dead, as were the roads on the way there. Many businesses and schools are opening late or are completely closed tomorrow just in case the roads get slick tonight. My office is waiting until tomorrow to make a decision. Just in case, I brought everything I'd need to work from home tomorrow so I could be prepared.

The forecast is showing our chance of snow extends into tomorrow. I'd just feel much better knowing I didn't have to worry about being out on the road in case another Major Winter Storm comes and dumps a whole inch of snow on us again.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So I'm not exactly leaving a comment based on this particular post...
I just have something in common with you!...
I Google searched 'beach wedding, ft.Walton beach area' and ran across your Blog with photos of your wedding. I'm getting married June 21st in Sea grove, FL (Ft.Walton area) and I just purchased (about a week ago) the exact same dress you wore! I'm also having a second reception (not wedding) in Ga. I had been very upset earlier because my mom wasn't please with my bridal dress choice ...being as it was a Macy's dress, but I caught a glimmer of hope when I saw your photos! Plus, I had been doubting my dress choice every time a bridal mag. is shoved in my face, seeing as to how they are full of models wearing dresses that cost as much as my car.But I was so excited to see someone else had worn the dress as a bridal gown. I still am trying on dresses to humor my mom, but I really fell in love with that as soon as I saw it hanging on the rack in Macy's.
I'd like to find out where you did your cake and what not's....if you don't mind sharing!
I hope all your planning is/was headache free!

Anonymous said...

my hubby misses the snow! =) stay warm! =)

cynthia

Anonymous said...

They closed the cafeteria at the big school until 9:00 this morning WHAT??!!??!!? I'm hungry! This place is crazy about weather. The Panhandle is much more unpredictable. It's snowed 8 inches in October and I've seen it snow in May. It's wacky and violent. I'll never forget asking someone from Nebraska if the weather was similar and she said, "No way, it's much more violent here."

~Jef

Anonymous said...

it's like that here when there's the threat of snow. everyone flips out, makes the mad dash to the grocery store, and businesses and schools close without even waiting to see what the next day will bring. more often than not, we get a dusting that doesn't stick.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, how incredibly foreign to me! I must say, Michigan drivers generally don't have much fear when it comes to snow. Sure, it will take three times as long to get home, but we typically work a normal workday in a major storm...and deal with it once we leave.

Pink Sun Drops said...

What?!! You guys got SNOW?!? I'm so jealous!!

my life is brilliant said...

Hi Danielle! Glad you stopped by! I tried to email you or something, but Blogger won't let me access your profile. Congrats on your upcoming wedding. I'm so glad we chose the area we did. It's gorgeous down there!

And great choice on your dress! As you can see from the photos, I got mine altered. I also actually got mine at Dillard's. Maybe you can just tell your mom that's where you got yours, if that makes it any better. :) Oleg Cassini is actually a bridal gown designer, though. It's definitely a wedding gown.

It's hard to choose a wedding dress since it's such an important decision. I second-guessed myself for a while. And I'm still second-guessing myself for the Dallas ceremony.

I can give you tips on what we did for our flowers, cake, etc. Email me: soon erpride22(at)hotmail(dot)com. **(no space in the email address. I just put it there so it couldn't be found in search)