Friday, July 18, 2008

You know you're pathetic in the kitchen when ...

My big 15k is coming up tomorrow morning, so to properly prepare myself, I started "carbing up" on Wednesday night. I stepped out of my comfort zone and grilled some chicken. I made fettuccine, which I'd never done before. As for the sauce, I went the store-bought route (baby steps, people) with some Alfredo sauce and some organic, specially flavored (although I can't remember what the special flavor was) marinara sauce.

Wednesday night, I topped the chicken with Muenster cheese, and then I used my marinara sauce to top it all off. It turned out pretty decent, but I learned I prefer plain, old-fashioned, regular marinara.

Last night, I heated up the Alfredo sauce. I added some broccoli to the pasta and chicken, and I topped it with the Alfredo. It was pretty dang good, if I do say so myself.























Just for the fun of it, I sent K a picture of both meals after I'd fixed my plate. I bake, not cook, so this was pretty big for me. I was able to talk to K on the phone last night, and he commented on the pictures. "Good for you, babe!" he said. "I'm proud of you."

"Wow ..." I said. "That's really sad. I didn't do anything! I just cooked the pasta. I didn't season the chicken with anything, and I bought the sauce."

"That's better than I've done in a long time! I haven't cooked in months!"

"K! You're in Iraq. You don't even have a kitchen to cook in."

He laughed. I shook my head. I'm pathetic. It's time to learn how to cook.

1 comment:

L said...

Cute that he's proud of you. I need to find a guy who's ok with my lack of skills in the kitchen.