Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Glad you're back?*

ER sent me an email today:

I'm home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we hang out soon? I miss you.

She's been visiting family in Asia for the last month with her boyfriend, sister and her husband, and they just got back late last night.

I was supposed to work out with Jeremy and run 5 miles tonight. We have a 15k in a few weeks, so I didn't want to skip out on those plans, especially since I've hardly worked out over the last two weeks. I emailed ER back and told her when I'd be free the rest of the week. I asked when would work best for her. Her email reply said she was free tonight and tomorrow night, and she listed a few other things. Including the fact that she moves on Monday. (I knew it was soon, but I didn't realize it was that soon.)

So when Jeremy emailed me a little while later to tell me that he has to work late and would miss our workout, I immediately called ER to see if she wanted to meet for dinner. She didn't answer. I texted her to be sure she'd get the message before she made other plans. Just a few minutes later, she texted back: "Do you want to meet up for coffee or ice cream after dinner?"

Hmm.

ER and I are very close. She can order for me at a number of restaurants and get it all exactly right (even the special requests). Of all people, she should know I don't drink coffee.

Ice cream didn't sound particularly good -- especially if I was skipping on the gym. I texted her back, asking if she already had plans for dinner. She responded shortly after: "[Sister] has been cooking." I could understand that. I didn't want her to cancel on her sister -- especially if she'd been cooking.

Not 10 minutes after I got ER's last text, I was leaving work and called ER to set up our ice cream plans. Only she didn't answer the phone. Again.

Now, I know she may have been busy, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people are free to text for 20 minutes when a two-minute phone call can accomplish the same thing much easier. Besides, phones are for placing calls, not text messaging!

That left me feeling frustrated. And it gave me time to think. This is a bad combination for a woman.

ER has been in Asia for a month with her sister, her boyfriend and her sister's husband. Those are no doubt the people she's having dinner with -- otherwise, she'd have told me in the text. It's not a rare occasion for her sister to cook, so that's not it either.

There's also the fact she'd told me she was free. Why would she tell me she was free tonight if she wasn't?

And why would the girl who knows I want the #1 with cheese, mustard, and no tomatoes or onions; fries; and a vanilla Coke -- without seeing the menu -- ask if I wanted to meet for coffee?!

Especially if she's moving hours away in less than a week?

I'm so annoyed I don't even want to meet up anymore!
____________________________
*UPDATE (7-2-08)

ER and I did wind up meeting for ice cream last night. It took about 30 minutes or so for us to feel like ourselves again. I think we were both kind of tired -- hers from jetlag, and mine because I was just really tired all day yesterday for some reason.

So it went well and everything's fine now. I still can't believe she's moving so soon! I think we're going to go for pedicures on Saturday. That'll be some good bonding time before she leaves.

1 comment:

Liz said...

That is annoying. It's so hard when you feel disconnected from someone who knows you so well. I'm sure she's just feeling off after such a long trip. I hope that you were able to talk & clear it all up.