Thursday, November 06, 2008

Weekend o' races

You may or may not remember that my brother works for NASCAR. And you may or may not know that the NASCAR race last weekend was in Dallas. Which meant my brother was here.

And he got me pit passes.

My friend Danielle, who is a big fan of NASCAR, came down from Oklahoma so she could join me for the VIP weekend. Saturday morning, we headed to the track so we could hang out with my brother, check out the action in the garages, and get pictures of and with as many drivers as we could.

We did a good job of keeping our cool. We were excited, but we weren't squealing or gushing. We got our pictures and let the drivers go on about their business. I think my brother was a little embarrassed by our incessant picture taking (although, being my brother, he should totally be used to it). (Note: This is just a portion of the pictures we took. We got even more drivers than this!)

Getting our credentials. (Credentials!!!)
















The trailers in the garage area. And Robb!e Loom!s, who was Richard Pe.tty's crew chief back in the day.

















The pit crew uniforms inside Bobby L.abonte's trailer. (Not just anyone can get inside the trailers. Lucky for us, we know people!)
















Us with Kasey Kahne. He was the driver we both wanted a picture with most.














Brian Vickers

















Martin Truex Jr.
















Kevin Harvick. He was in a hurry, so since Danielle's a big fan of his, I sat this one out to be photographer.

















Love Dale Jr., but he's impossible to get a picture with. You have to fight through the crowd.
















Tony Stewart. Not a fan.
















Carl Edwards. Like Jr., he had quite a crowd too.

















Richard Petty! The King!
















Bobby Labonte, who I totally have a crush on now. He's a little short, but he's so hot in person. (Yes, K knows about this crush.)
















There was a race that afternoon, and we got to watch it on top of the team's trailer in the infield. Pretty cool!

































After our long day at the track, we took it easy Saturday night and tried to go to bed early. On Sunday, we got up bright and early for my half-marathon. K's roommate's fiance (got that?) came up from Houston to run it too. We ran together for a large chunk of the course.





























































































We weren't quite over the racing fun, so we headed back to the track to hang out with my brother some more and watch a race on pit row.
































































Carl Edwards, who Danielle and I both really like, won the race, which was awesome. We got to see him do his signature backflip out of his car!

As you can see, we had a looooooong, packed weekend, and it was definitely a rare experience. And (as you can see) we made sure to capture everything so we'll never forget any of it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun. Except the running part. That's really neat you got to do that. I think I'm going to start the couch to 5K program on Sunday.

Knot

PS - next week we have to hate each other.

Anonymous said...

Look at you, Ms. Fancy Pants! What an awesome weekend. I don't know a thing about NASCAR, yet I'm still officially jealous.

L said...

Oooh, I have some friends (Kasey and Kevin fans) who will be so jealous!!

Anonymous said...

You seem to have a lot of connections, that is awesome! I'm still jealous of your running but now that my "jugs o milk" are now emptying and shrinking, I plan to start training for a race on St. Patty's and a race next May. I can do it again, right? Please say yes. :)

Courtney said...

Sounds like so much fun!!
And congrats on the race. I CANNOT believe you ran the whole thing. You are NUTS!