Wednesday, November 26, 2008

How did I almost forget to share this story?

Last Saturday, the OU game was a pretty big deal. ESPN GameDay was there, and the outcome was going to make history no matter who won, not to mention the effect it would have on bowl contenders. The game started at 7:15.

K called me that night, and we talked until a little before 7. Even though it was 4:15 a.m. in Iraq, he was going to stay up and watch the game.

My husband, who I really worried/freaked out in September of 2005 by crying because we lost to TCU (Hello! It was the first game of the season!!! At home!!!! To TCU [who would actually turn out to be pretty good that year, but who saw that coming? Clearly we didn't!]!!!!!!).

We were in New Jersey at the time for the wedding of one of his closest friends. I had decided it would be OK to go only because it wouldn't be that big of a game, so I could justify missing it. It was my first game after I had graduated, so it was my first time to know OU was playing football and I was not there in my uniform to show my support.

When I found out we were losing, I felt helpless. There was nothing I could do. It was awful. So I cried.

K said to me, "Are you serious? Are you serious right now? It's just a game."

"Just a game?!" I shrieked, before filling him in on all that that loss could potentially mean for our season.

Eventually, thank goodness, K began to find my love of Sooner football endearing. He even told me that since he had never been to a football school in high school or college (while I've never NOT attended a football school. Seriously, there were less than 500 people in my entire high school, and two of our football players now play for the NFL), he would never be able to fully understand or relate to my dedication and love for the Oklahoma Sooners, but he was glad that I have that.

Over the course of this football season, K has actually referred to the OU football team as "we" and "us." When I told my dad this exciting news, his response was, "He just might work out."

But last week ... last week really did make me fall in love with K a little bit more. Not just the fact that he stayed up to watch the game even though he had a cold. He actually called me at halftime to give me a "Boomer!" and talk about how awesome "we" looked and how "our" defense was kicking a$$.

We had a comfortable lead, so he was going to bed -- as he should. By that time, it was after 6 a.m. for him!

K called me Sunday night, and his voice sounded awful. He could barely speak, since a night of staying up late had enabled his cold to get to him a little more. He was exhausted, but he was happy. He said something about the third quarter.

"What? I thought you went to bed at halftime."

"I was going to, but I couldn't. I was too excited."

Just when I thought he couldn't get any sexier ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah! That is a good man. H has now completely immersed himself in Gator football... he wears orange & blue 5 days of the week, talks "we" and "us," and counts down for the games. Nothing could endear him to me more than that! So I was definitely smiling and laughing at this post :)