Friday, December 05, 2008

The military just loves to take its time

Remember back in July when I posted about how anxious I was about getting the list of possible places K could get stationed early next spring? Yeah, we're still waiting on that.

We actually did eventually get a list sent to us in late August, but it was the wrong one. It was for openings in December, January and February. Obviously if K was still set to be in Iraq then, he couldn't very well take over a new position here at the same time. I wasn't too upset that the list didn't apply to us, though -- all the places on it sucked.

So here we are, months later, still waiting for that list. And in less than six months, I'll be packing up and moving with K to one of the places on this list that the Army doesn't seem very anxious to share with us.

I really need to go through my closet to get rid of things I hardly ever wear, but I don't want to start that project until I know what type of weather I need to prepare for. What if I throw out a bunch of old sweaters, and then we wind up stationed in Colorado? Or what if I get rid of a bunch of cute dresses or summery shoes that I hardly wear, and we get sent to Hawaii?

Maybe I should just look at the important phrase of both sentences -- "that I hardly wear" -- and get a move on it.

Colorado is at the top of our list of places we want to get stationed. What's funny about this is it really hasn't gotten that cold in Dallas yet, but for some reason, I'm feeling it more than I usually do (maybe all that Hotter'n Hell training moved up the entire range of temperatures I can handle by about 20 degrees). This, along with the hopes that we'll be lucky enough to get stationed at the post at the top of our list, has made me really into sweaters this season.

There are two sweaters I really really want to buy right now, and they're both on sale. If I knew we were going to Colorado, I could justify getting them. If I knew we were going somewhere warmer, I would know it would be wasteful and unnecessary for me to buy them.

Obviously, there are tons more important reasons for my wanting to know where K will be sent next. I'm going to be starting a whole new life in less than six months. I don't think it's too demanding to want to know where that will be like right now.

It would be nice to start researching the area and neighborhoods. I could find out more about the job market and decide if it's worth it to look for something there, or if I should just hang on to my job now and try to work remotely.

What if we wind up in Germany? It would be nice to have time to ... I don't know ... learn German!!

But also, knowing where we'll go next would make it so much easier to daydream about finally getting to start our lives together as a real married couple.

The suspense is killing me.

But at least for now, it's saving my bank account.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You should get your first pick since K is a priority one after being in Iraq. So I say buy the sweater! And put KW as your #2 pick :) :)

Anonymous said...

How frustrating! Colorado is amazing - I lived there for a bit after I graduated. (It was in the spring/summer - but the winter there wouldn't kill me. How do you feel about cold weather?!)