Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Thank God time marches on!

(This would have been more timely a few days ago, but hey, the holidays get busy!)

Last Friday (Nov. 27) marked two years from the day K deployed to Iraq (for the second time). K had the day off, but I had to work a half-day. As I sat at my desk, bored to tears with nothing to do since hardly anyone else was working, it was weird to think that two years earlier, I was just beginning the toughest year (and then some) of my life. In fact, until a couple weeks ago, just seeing that date on the calendar would always make my eyes well up with tears. (The date came up at work a good 5 or 6 times a day for the last couple weeks, so I built up an immunity.)

Needless to say, it was great to spend this November 27 with K for the first time since 2005 (remember, on that date in 2006, he was just about to come home from Afghanistan). And unlike the last three November 27ths, I was glad that I spent only a couple hours of this one counting the hours until I could be with my husband again.

No comments: