Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A less fun first

Although K and I have been together for 4 Christmases, we've never spent Christmas Day together. K was in Pennsylvania for the first two and Iraq for the last two. Naturally, since it's been a while, K will be spending Christmas with his family ... and so will I.

This will be my first Christmas away from my family. I've known it would be this way for several months, but it's really started hitting me lately. I've felt myself becoming more and more anxious, and I'm dreading leaving for PA.

Today is my last day of work (yay, I'm done here!). When I get off, I have to rush home to finish packing, and we'll head north. It'll be a long drive, surely full of lots of traffic, and I'm not looking forward to any of it.

As I started thinking about all of it this morning -- particularly about being away from my family for the holiday -- I actually started crying. At work.

I didn't realize it would hit me like this. I've already warned K and asked him to be patient with me. With PMS, my first Christmas away from home, and spending several days with K's dad (which always leaves both K and me ready to rip our hair out) all coming at the same time, it could be an emotional week for me.

I just have to keep remembering the important things: I'm blessed. I'm with K. It's Christmastime.

And I will get to see my family in two weeks.

No comments: