Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sure, I'll lead start a running group!

There's a run coming up that my work is sponsoring. I am the lone runner in my office, and as an Official Marathon Runner, that means I'm basically an Olympian.

I believe I'm the only person in my entire department who runs. I know one lady is interested in starting, and another might go on light jogs, but I doubt any of them know what distance a 5k is. Not that a 5k is a choice in the run we're sponsoring.

Because two or three people have asked me about it so far, I sent out an email today about the upcoming run.

I volunteered to start a running group.

Most of the people in my department are in their 40s and up.

Which means I just volunteered to teach 20-something 40-somethings (OK, like 3 are in their 30s) how to run up to a half-marathon (there's a shorter distance that's a run/walk) in less than 4 months.

Yikes.

9 comments:

Liz said...

Seriously, get them to do the couch to 5K. It works. So well. The problem for me has been keeping it up now that the weather isn't as nice. But it really truly gets you ready for a 5K!

my life is brilliant said...

Liz, that's absolutely where I'm going to start. Then, after that, we'll work up to the greater distances.

Honestly, getting to 1 mile is the hardest part. Once you run that distance, it's easy to keep adding on.

I just have to get my coworkers to believe me when I tell them that!

Liz said...

It really is totally do-able. And you're right. The first time I ran for 10 minutes straight, which was probably just about one mile, I couldn't believe I was able to do it. It just kept getting easier & easier. You sort of get into a groove. But you just can't understand it until you've experienced it. I so wish I could do it with you!

Pink Sun Drops said...

Go you! You can totally do it!

a tall sassy gal said...

I am doing the St Patty's Day Dash Down Greenville. Yay! Now just got to make sure I can run the whole 5k. I think I can.

Kari said...

This will totally prepare you for motherhood! :)

my life is brilliant said...

Kari, that made me laugh out loud!

Kari said...

Glad it made you laugh! Your running group post made me laugh as I was trying to picture someone getting my coworkers to run. These are people who can't agree how the dishwasher should be loaded (seriously there are discussion about this in the lunchroom/kitchen)! Someone would read a wiki post on how you should run and think they were an expert. Another would do some statistical analysis and decide that he had a way for more efficient running. Two others would become very competitive and start trying to come up with ways to "beat" the other. The leader of the running group would consider running them all across the truck route 1/2 mile away from work.

Anonymous said...

Like Kari, I'm imagining starting a running group at my office and TOTALLY cracking up. My boss would be an expert in 6 minutes or less, pulling out the "I'm a former professional athlete, running is for wusses" card as soon as we actually started running.

That being said - I think that your running group is an awesome idea. Hopefully you'll get to know your coworkers a little better and have some fun, too!