Friday, September 07, 2007

Four posts in one!

Take that!
Tuesday night, I finally did pushups at the gym. I only did one set of 12, then one set of nine, but the point is that I did them -- and I didn't cheat by doing them the girl way! Woohoo!


A real mommy
Piper got spayed yesterday. I dropped her off at the vet early yesterday morning, and I got a call at about 12:30 that she was done and everything had gone well. I could hear her crying in the background as she was waking up again. The vet's office told me she'd be ready for me to pick her up at about 3:30.

It was a little slow at work yesterday afternoon, so I left early to pick her up and work from home the rest of the day. I was surprised how anxious I was to see her as I drove to the vet's office. I was worried about her, even though I knew she was fine, and I was so ready to pick her up and take her home, where she could be comfortable and babied. I missed her!

She seemed to be doing fine. She was a little tired and slow-moving last night, but she'd get her puppy energy back in cute little spurts, usually when she was following me around the apartment and trying to stay by me. I noticed she kept licking at her stomach, which I knew was bad from reading the instructions the vet had given me when I took her home. I called to make sure she had regular old stitches, since I couldn't see them. The vet's receptionist told me I'd need to come back and get a cone for her head so she couldn't lick her wound anymore. It was at the height of rush-hour traffic, and the last thing I wanted to do was put Piper back in her crate so I could go get what the vet should have given me to begin with. I called back to find out if I was going to be charged for the cone. When the man who answered told me it would be $15, I decided to just go to Petsmart. The incompetent vet's office had enough of my money as it was.

I'll spare you the list of reasons why that vet has seen the last of my money. But I am going to let the rescue organization that recommended that place know that it doesn't belong on the "GREAT VETS!" page of their website.

Poor Piper!

Speaking of moms ...
I got a call last night from the lady who cut my hair when I was little. She moved away when I was in the ninth grade, and I've never found anyone who got my hair quite like her. She now lives about an hour and a half from my mom, so my mom evidently visits her every few weeks to have this lady cut her hair. My mom had just left, and she'd been telling the hairdresser how I'm getting married in two weeks. She showed the hairdresser the pictures of our engagement, too. I thought that was all kind of funny, since my mom pretty much has no idea of any of our plans, given the fact that we're not talking.

The hairdresser told me my mom was crying about everything, and I was starting to suspect my mom was there listening. I asked if she was still there, and the hairdresser told me she'd just left. It turns out that the hairdresser will be in Florida just minutes from our ceremony the same week as our wedding. Only K and I get there Thursday night, and she's leaving sometime Friday. I haven't seen her in years, so it would've been cool to see her again. We might get to meet up for a bit on Friday.

I talked to the hairdresser about some of the things with my mom. I finally told her that my mom is the one who made the decision not to come to the ceremony. I told her why I'm a little uneasy about my mom coming, which is why I haven't said anything else to her about it. I told the hairdresser that the reasons why I'm frustrated with my mom have very little to do with the divorce and so much to do with who how she was to us when we were growing up. The way she acts now tells me she still isn't quite owning up to everything she's done. If she was, she'd stop playing the victim in my parents' divorce, and she'd stop spreading lies about why it happened.

I've been thinking more lately, though, about my mom and the wedding. I'm still torn on what to do. Every once in a while, I'll start thinking about inviting her (again) -- she is my mom, after all, and I might regret one day that she's not there. I'll start thinking of all these reasons to invite her and how I should just be the bigger person and let her know she's welcome.

But dammit, I'm tired of being the bigger person. She's the mom! And I already did let her know she was welcome, and she accused me of inviting her for money, gave me this huge guilt trip and then shoved it in my face that she's not coming. As soon as I consider inviting her again, I start thinking of all these reasons not to. It's barely two weeks away, anyway. I don't want to go through the mess of talking to her and inviting her if it's all for nothing. And there's still the fact that she annoys me.

Ugh! Why can't my mom just be normal?!


Hurricane warning? Puh-lease! (ending on a good note)
K and I are heading to Norman today for the OU-Miami game. We're going to have several different groups of people to spend time with, so we might be spread pretty thin, but I'm looking forward to going. It's been a couple months since I've been, and it's definitely time to go again. And I'm so pumped about the game. I'm anxious to see the band and to scream my head off during the football game.

A big group of us is planning on going out Saturday night. I'll get to see a lot of my friends in Norman, and we'll all get to hang out together again. It's gonna be awesome!

Boomer Sooner!

3 comments:

Stacey Brandow said...

Listen to your heart. You'll do the right thing.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. Have fun in Norman! BOOMER SOONER!

s said...

hope you had a great trip!