Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Clearly, I have a lot of issues with my mother

Believe it or not, I actually trimmed a ton out of this entry before posting. Hopefully my little subheads (more like chapters) make it a little easier to read ...

Important history

My mom and I have had a rocky relationship for the last several years. After my parents separated (when I was 19 and in college), my mom put me in positions I should never have been put in. She confided in me way too much and way too often. I told her repeatedly that she was telling me things I didn't need to hear, didn't want to hear and shouldn't be hearing. I told her to call her church friends or her work friends or her longtime friends. She said she didn't want to wear them out. She chose to wear me out instead.

I was in college, working multiple jobs and taking classes full time. I was financially independent. I didn't have the time to listen to her or (mainly) the time to deal with everything I was hearing. I asked her time after time after time to call someone else, but she refused. Every once in a while, I'd get through to her that she had crossed the line. She would apologize and promise she'd stop. As usual with my mom, the revelation didn't last long, and less than a couple weeks later, we'd be right back at square one.

I started off being nice with my requests for her to stop talking to me about the divorce and my dad. It didn't work. I got more assertive. It didn't work. I got more authoritative, and that didn't work. I eventually would yell into the phone. That just made her cry, and somehow, the calls continued. I tried cursing at her, which just made her tell me not to use that language and then hang up on me. Still, though, the calls didn't really stop.

My patience with my mom wore very thin over that two- or three-year period. We reached a whole new point when I was home for Christmas my sophomore year in college and my mom told me about the day just four weeks earlier that she'd almost successfully committed suicide. She told me she wouldn't have done what she did had we not gotten into an argument that morning. I said "f--- you" to her and told her she was stupid if she thought I was going to sit there and let her blame her stupid decision on me. That just tells you, though, what our relationship became.


I think I probably stand up for myself better now as a result of all I went through with my mom in college, but it's left my patience level with her very thin. I'd say my fuse with her is about as long as an eyelash. And I think that's her own fault.


Big days gone bad

My mom and I go through phases where we don't talk. We'll get on one of a few topics of conversation that I know we should avoid (money, my brother or my dad most often), and it winds up in a huge argument. She gets emotional and hangs up on me, and we don't talk for weeks -- sometimes months. Almost every single time, what makes us start talking again is that something really big happens in my life. This last time, it was my engagement.

For some background, the summer before my junior year of college is when my mom got married. I told her that I was going to have several major events in the near future that I would want her and my dad both to be at -- my last home game as a member of the OU marching band, my last band concert, my college graduation and, someday in the far-off future, my wedding. I told my mom that those were all things I had been working toward for a long time. They were all a huge deal to me, and I would need her and my dad to be civil.

Well, three of the four have passed, and none of those went smoothly. Through them all, I was stressed and trying to be in two places at once. My mom acted awkward at all of them. She drove two hours to and from OU to come to my college graduation and tried to leave without saying a word to me or even taking a picture with me because my dad was there. As for my last band concert, when I called her after to thank her for coming, she proceeded to gripe at me through sobs because she just knew I had planned it out that my dad and his girlfriend would end up sitting in the row in front of her and her husband. She honestly thought that in April of my senior year in college -- through all the stress of capstone, finals, projects and figuring out where I was going to be living and how I was going to get my first "real" job -- that I had nothing better to do than to plan it out that my dad and his girlfriend would sit in the same room as my mom and her husband -- and only one. row. in front of them.

I told you she's crazy.


The latest

So anyway, like I said, when K and I got engaged, my mom and I were in another of our not-talking phases. What's kind of ironic is that we were fighting about the very likely upcoming wedding. I'd told my mom all along since the summer before my junior year that if she ruined all those things I had coming up, I'd be very upset with her. Since a year and a half hadn't been enough time to handle that, I wanted to be sure she'd have plenty of time before my wedding, especially since I'd found the guy.


In February, an opportunity presented itself that would be good for us all -- my dad and his girlfriend; K and me; my mom and her husband -- to get together briefly. I suggested it to my mom. She told me I was unreasonable and that everyone she knew agreed and couldn't believe I'd even think to ask her and her husband to do such a thing. She said she would never sit at the same dinner table with my dad. Needless to say, that conversation ended badly, so we didn't talk for weeks.

Then came the morning of April 1st, when K got into my phone and found my mom's number to get her blessing before he proposed. When he did, I had to call her -- she's my mom. That meant we were talking again.


A rocky start

I had to call my mom the weekend K and I were first beginning to make plans, which included coming up with our budget. I called my mom to ask her if she could sit down with her husband to figure out what they were comfortable with contributing. I told her that whatever number she came up with would be what I'd count on -- nothing more, nothing less. That way, their contribution would be established early on, and that's all they'd have to worry about.



When I explained that to my mom, she asked if I'd talked to my dad. She said she didn't want to tell me anything until after I'd talked to him. I told her that I hadn't called him yet, but that when I'd told him a few days earlier that K and I would be planning our budget that weekend, he told me he would help out as much as he could to give me whatever I wanted. I wasn't surprised to hear him say that. I know my dad will give me more money than he should and would put himself in an uncomfortable situation because he wanted me to be happy. That's what I don't want to happen, and that's why I'm doing things the way I am.


My mom told me she would think about the whole budget thing. I talked to her a couple times the next week, but that didn't come up. Finally, I brought it up myself. My mom completely stunned me with her response: "I still need to pray about it."


"What does that mean?" I asked her. She explained to me that it was not her husband's responsibility to help pay for my wedding. He has three girls of his own, and he didn't even meet me until three years ago. It wouldn't be fair to expect him to pitch in.


"I completely agree," I told her. "But I figured since you two are married, you'd have a joint checking account. Obviously whatever you pitch in will affect him, so I figured you'd talk about it together."


My mom said something about how they don't discuss with each other how much they spend on their kids, which doesn't make sense. This isn't like my mom's giving me money for gas or for prescriptions. This is a wedding.


My mom continued, telling me she and my dad had paid for their entire wedding on their own. She told me that she was just "confused" as to what her responsibility was in the whole thing. She said K and I probably make three times more than her, so she wasn't sure what she was supposed to be helping with. She also mentioned that our relationship is pretty rocky. She then told me that I only call her when I want something -- usually money (Funny, since I started paying for my school supplies and the majority of my clothes, feminine products and other necessities when I was 14.). That conversation didn't get much better, so I got off the phone before I exploded at her.


When things really got bad

She didn't call me that week, which meant we didn't talk until the day I went dress shopping and fell in love with a reception site. I called her to tell her about it. I was noticeably excited about the place and some of the other things I'd discussed with the site manager. My mom, who always has an opinion about everything, was silent (Remember, I'm noticeably excited). Finally, I asked her to tell me what she wasn't saying. She proceeded to tell me that she didn't understand why K and I were going to serve dinner to everyone.


"Mom," I explained, "people will be flying in for this wedding from Pennsylvania; Georgia; Ohio; Washington; Washington, D.C.; New York -- from everywhere. The least we can do is feed them a little bit of food." I reminded her we will most likely have a buffet, which is much more economical than a plated dinner.


Then, she started on the whole alcohol thing: "Well, I know you and K want to have an open bar, and I don't understand why you're wanting to throw a huge party for everyone and pay for it," she said. I reminded my mom that K and I had not decided on anything yet and that we wouldn't even wind up making a decision on a bar until probably March. We'd see what was left in our budget and work with that.


My mom said, "I know you and K want to have this big, elaborate wedding, but ..." I cut her off at that. "Have you listened to anything I've said about this?!" I asked her. I told her that I've said all along that we want a simple wedding, but we want it to be fun for everyone. My mom then told me that she was a little worried that we were spending as much as $10,000 on a wedding and thought that was being frugal.


Um, hello? We're planning a wedding in Dallas, Texas. "Everything's bigger in Texas" -- yeah, that state. Dallas is huge, and it's full of people with huge hair and huge budgets (and huge fake boobs, but that's another story). I assure you thinking you can plan a half-decent wedding for 200 people in Dallas, Texas, at less than $10,000 is like building a rocket out of a film canister and an Alka-Seltzer tablet and expecting it to reach the moon.


I told my mom that her comments so far had been frustrating and upsetting. I told her this was supposed to be one of the most fun things a girl can do. It's something we look forward to from an early age, and I didn't want this to be a year of her shooting down everything I told her we'd planned. I told her I wanted that to stop.


She told me that I was frustrating and annoying her. The argument kept going and going and going. It went far beyond weddings, my dad and the present. My mom was twisting my words, which she's so talented at doing, and I was getting more and more frustrated.


Pretty much a timebomb

There are several problems with my relationship with my mom. For starters, as I said earlier, my fuse with her is very short. She annoys and frustrates me faster than anyone in the entire world. She doesn't upset me, though; I'm surprisingly calm and disconnected in our conversations. I wonder if it's some coping mechanism I developed in college when she was calling me five times a day.


When my mom cries, instead of getting sympathetic, I get annoyed and start wishing I was anywhere doing anything instead of listening to her cry and be so overdramatic about her emotions ("That cut me to the bone", "I'm dying [insert overdramatic, at-least-five-second pause here], and so are you. One day, I won't be here." -- not kidding, those are actual quotes.).

I'm also very honest with my mom. This is bad. It means that when she asks me a bad question, I tell her the (bad) honest answer. Example:


Mom: I can’t believe you just said that.
Me, blandly: Sorry.
Mom: No you’re not.
Me: You’re right, I’m really not.
Mom: Well, then why did you even bother apologizing?
Me: Because it was the polite thing to do.


Those three things -- short fuse, lack of sympathy and brutal honesty -- make for a pretty bad combination. Our argument that night escalated and escalated to the point that my mom just went from talking normally to bawling so hard she could barely speak. I actually did feel bad that she was crying so hard, but I couldn't help but notice how child-like her voice sounded through the whole thing. I felt bad that she was so upset, but I didn't feel anything really for being a good portion of the cause of it (her lack of sanity being the main culprit).


I'm usually a very sympathetic person. My mom is the only person I'm like that with. It's for that very reason that that night, a few hours after we'd gotten off the phone, I deleted my mom's number from my phone. I have her number memorized, but I figured without it in my phone, I'd have to dial a whole 10 digits before I could press "send" to call her. Surely by then, I'll have realized it's not a good idea.

10 comments:

Pink Sun Drops said...

Wow. It sounds like your mother has the issues. I'm so sorry you have to deal with all that!! It does sound like you are being the bigger person and I applaud you for that. You've created your boundaries and you're having to fight to keep them but you are. That takes a lot of courage!!

PS The headings helped :) .

Anonymous said...

There are times in life when it's better to just not talk ever again. My dad and I have that kind of relationship. We just don't ever talk and we're fine with that. Every interaction is a struggle to end.

I think with your mom, you may love her and all, but it's time to move on. You've said she causes problems at all your events. She won't change and you don't need that headache on your big day.

Suggesting she not come is an option, maybe a little harsh, but it is an option. Maybe there is a compromise you two can come to. Maybe you can reason with your step-dad, maybe not. But she'll more than likely wreck you wedding day.

Your mom sounds angry and doesn't sound too hot on taking responsibility for her actions and that means you have to be the adult.

She won't change.

You have to live your life even if it means you have to make selfish decisions now and then.

~Jef

Mel said...

I am struggling through similar issues with my mother (although I don't have to worry about the conflicting families at least). After one too many trips/holidays/important events in my life being ruined by her, I finally had had enough. I did not speak to her for almost five weeks before receiving an e-mail from her asking why I hadn't contacted them. I then proceeded to lay it all out on the table. It felt so good to get everything that I had been feeling for years off of my chest without any interruptions which is what usually happens when we try to "talk" about things. She did read the e-mail but then proceeded to basically ignore it because she's too busy to write back right now...so who knows if I got anywhere but at least I feel better! It is good that you are able to set up boundaries already because that will really help you - I let my mom walk all over me for way too long without doing much about it so I have a feeling it will be even harder to change at this point. We have to go see them this weekend because of my grandmother's birthday but luckily we will have some time after that to figure out what we want to do. I am married, have a son now, and it is all the more hard because she is always trying to make me feel guilty about spending time with my own family or doing what we want instead of what she wants. Good luck and drop me a line if you ever need to vent!

a tall sassy gal said...

I think you are handling this the mature way and obivously she is not. I am proud of you for standing up to her. You have clearly tried and she has clearly not and there will be a day that she will realize this. When she misses out on this important day might be the deal breaker.

s said...

i think you have one of the most mature outlooks on this. i feel sorry for her than she'll get to miss out on being the mom you deserve.

Courtney said...

:(

So sad. I think family is the most important thing we have but I realize that sometimes it just can't work out like we hoped it would.

I'm so sorry that your mom is acting the way she is. If it were me, I wouldn't include her in the wedding at all. Not out of spite, but in an attempt to save my own sanity. I wouldn't accept a penny from her and I wouldn't try to share all the special moments with her. I would treat her as just another guest. Just be civil and don't bend over backwards for her. It doesn't seem worth it.

Ugh. Again, so sorry that you are having to go through this during what should be such a fun time. Boo.

And yes, the headings helped!!

Alyssa said...

So sorry to hear about all the dramam your mother is causing. Isn't it great when you have to be the adult in the situation and they act like children. Madning! I say treat her with the respect she deserves simply for birthing you but hold still to those boundaries. Tell her you want her to be a part of your day but if she is not going to be respectful of you and the rest of your family then don't even come. I am sure she can find it in herself to fake it for one day.

Stacey Brandow said...

Hi, I'm new. I just stumbled across your blog and read this post. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I have a very similar situation. What you said about talking on the phone...I'm the same way. It's like my voice has no emotion when I speak to her. She is such a child, she has had 3 mental episodes. My mom says the same thing, "I won't be here one day." But to me she is already gone, because she has never been the same since the divorce and then the episodes with her mental health. I did't mean for my comment to be this long. I just wanted to say you are not alone, and thanks for making me feel like I'm not either.

Katrina said...

I'm so sorry. What a maelstrom to have to deal with at what should be a happy time for you. I agree with pinksundrops; you've obviously learned to set boundaries and keep them, something that takes a lot of us a long time. Bravo to you for not allowing yourself to be emotionally manipulated. :) (and *hugs*!)

Mrs. Architect said...

OH! MY! GOSH! I think your mom and my mom are related! SERIOUSLY! I was nodding my head through this whole thing, thinking, I am reading about my own life!!! How comforting (in a weird way) to know that other people have mothers like this.

My brother and sister still have lots of sypmathy for her and dote over her, but I gave up on that a long time ago. Every time I call her I cringe at what kind of mood she is going to be in. And I always thought that if she re-married, things would be different (less bitter, emotional, etc), but reading that your mom IS remarried, makes me realize that even if mine was, it would be the same.

My mom is the reason I live in Texas. I could NEVER live close to her. She drives me NUTS! Heather once told me that by moving out west I was running away from my problem and that I needed to deal with them. I told her that they aren't MY problems. They are HERS. I was so glad that she was able to spend enough time around my mom and witness her crap and really understand.