Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Maybe tomorrow will be better

I go back to my oral surgeon at 8 a.m. tomorrow for a checkup to make sure everything's on track. While this recovery process hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be, it's still annoying and uncomfortable. My temples have been throbbing since Sunday, and my ear hurts, which I know is just the back of my jaw. I'm ready to be able to eat crunchy foods again and to chew with all of my teeth instead of using only the front four. It took me a full hour to eat a hot pocket for lunch today!

I'm also ready for these stitches to be gone from the back of my mouth. They're kind of digging into my gums. They're the dissolving kind, though, so they'll be there for a few more days.

But it could be worse, I guess.

Honestly, the most painful part of the whole thing was having to put the surgery on my credit card. My benefits at work are awesome, but I guess the dental isn't. It only covers $1,000 a year. Since I had my teeth cleaned about a month ago, part of that $1,000 was already gone. That meant I had to pay for the majority of my surgery. I had to put $1,286 on my credit card. That was painful.

While I'm talking about things that have sucked recently, I should mention that my mom did respond to my email about the Florida wedding yesterday. She answered me with questions: Is it definite, and am I sure I want her to go? I told her yes on both. She responded again last night. Her email was long and waaaay off topic from the Florida wedding. She brought up the past. She exaggerated. She tried to make me feel guilty. She accused me of only inviting her so we could get money. She said that's the only reason I ever talk to her, which is pretty humorous. I asked her a few days after K and I got engaged if she and her husband could sit down and figure out how much they could contribute to the wedding. I told her whatever total they gave me would be all that I'd count on -- nothing more, nothing less. My mom told me that she needed to pray about it more. Then, she told me that K and I probably make more money than her, and that she and my dad paid for their whole wedding. She said she didn't know what her role was supposed to be in all this, especially with our relationship being so rocky all the time. She said again that she still needed to pray about it.

So in my reply to my mom, I told her that K and I weren't asking for a penny for anyone on this wedding. I wondered why she thought I'd be asking her for money if she wasn't even going to help us pay for the "real" wedding in Dallas. Other than that, I just gave her the details again. I told her it was up to her and her husband whether they came or not. I didn't address the majority of her email since it had nothing to do with the Florida wedding, which was what I'd emailed her about.

She responded to me today. Her email was long and very unpleasant. I decided the best response would be no response. Anything I said would result in a complete 360 to where we were before I sent her the email about Florida. I went with that plan -- no response.

So imagine my surprise when I checked my email again about two hours later to find another email from my mom. I can't imagine what she'd have said if I had actually responded, because she certainly managed to fuel a fire on her own. To give you a sample of the email, here's the last paragraph:

I think it's safe to say that we will not be attending. I have no doubt in my mind that I won;t be missed and except for the rather awkward conversations about why I am not there, I also have no doubt that you will find a replacement for me in the ceremony just as you have in every aspect of your day to day life.

So I guess that's two people we won't have to worry about getting cake and champagne for in Florida ...

9 comments:

a tall sassy gal said...

Aww I hate to see that. I just don't think she really grasps what she has done to your relationship with her. On top of praying it might be time for her to get some professional help.

Sounds likes to me she is the one that doesn't want to be there and is thinking of everyway possible to put it on you. So I say good thing she is not coming. You don't want that crap on YOUR day!

Anonymous said...

Being reading you blog and can sense your excitement about the upcoming wedding, but must admit I am shocked at your mom's attitude. It's such a pity and I guess the problem lies with her, she'll miss out and you'll be the one smiling as your embark on the next chapter of your life. Can't wait to see the wedding pic's. Be strong.
Karen - South Africa

Unknown said...

OH. my. God.

I am totally shocked.

I agree with Karen, all the problem definitely, without a doubt, lies with your mom. I am not just saying that because I'm biased towards you. She is obviously dealing with some SERIOUS issues.

It's amazing that you are so emotionally healthy, confident & upbeat, I REALLY admire you. Amazing!! I suppose one positive thing you can take out of this is what not to do when you're a mom one day. I can't even imagine what goes through her mind (as a mother) to say such hurtful things. I am so sorry.

In happier news...
If you get married in Key West, can Amelia be your flower girl? :)

L said...

How sad! She is missing out on so much not being a part of your life. It certainly sounds like she has some heart issues and has become emotionally manipulative. It does sound like you do a wonderful job trying to respond kindly despite her comments, but I'm sure it is hurtful. I'm sorry!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I agree with GFF: I don't know how you're so well emotionally adjusted. I'm sorry that your mom is acting this way - she obviously has some issues on her end that she's dealing with. I'm so sorry. :(

thethinker said...

I got my wisdom teeth out about two and a half weeks ago. It took awhile to get back to good food and I still have a little bit of pain every now and then.

Stacey Brandow said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that while planning the biggest day of your life. You probably already know this but it's her not you. It's her loss, and a loss for you as well, but a loss you can't control so just enjoy your day because it goes by so fast!

Mrs. Architect said...

I'm not shocked with that last paragraph. That's something my mom would pull. She loves those guilt trips and pity parties.

Even if my mom offered me money for a wedding (which i wont even ask!) I would turn it down because somewhere down the road she would probably throw it back in my face that I owe her.

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with her, but in the end, I'm sure it will be a much more fun and relaxing time for you without her there to create unwarranted drama.

Mrs. Architect said...

I STILL can't believe how much our moms are exactly alike!