Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Stop rushing November!

For months now, my co-workers have been talking about holiday parties. One of my co-workers evidently throws this big, really cool party with his neighbor each year in their downtown lofts. Given that we now find ourselves approaching the middle of November, talk of the holiday parties has increased.

Our work party and the forementioned holiday party both take place the first weekend of December. I've been asked if I've bought a dress for the party, and at least every other day the party-thrower swings by my area to share a new recipe he's found for his smorgasboard for the guests.

Just minutes ago, I got an office-wide invite to a potluck the week after Thanksgiving. It's even during office hours, which means pretty much no work will get done that day.

Everyone seems to get more and more excited as yet another day of November is under our belts. Their chatter gets quicker and more productive as their discussions move from ideas to plans. They're excited about an excuse to shop for nice new clothes, which party they'll go to first that weekend of December, and what they'll do for Christmas.

For me, though, each time I glance at the calendar to realize another November day has passed, it gets harder and harder to hold back the tears.

That exciting first weekend of December -- that weekend of parties, food and new dresses -- marks the first of a long, long string of weekends without K. It's the beginning of that stressful routine of trying to avoid the news day in and day out; of 15 months of knowing if I want to just give K a quick call or send him a text message, I'm out of luck; of having my phone by my side every.where. I. go. until K is back here, next to me. It's the beginning of a life where an email or a phone call means so much more than I ever could have imagined, and where missing a phone call could ruin my entire week.

It's the beginning of 15 months of my life that I hope go just as quickly as these November days are flying by.

6 comments:

s said...

here is to slowing down november and speeding up the 15 months that follow. i have said this before, but i admire your strength.

a tall sassy gal said...

You can do it! :) The time will fly so fast and then you will be together as husband and wife! :)

Courtney said...

Ditto what s said. I hope the 15 months FLY by, and the next few weeks crawl.

Unknown said...

Crap. This makes me sad, because I know what you're going through. Actually, not EXACTLY, but you catch my drift. Let me know if you'd like to plan a trip to KW to distract you. I can't believe it's almost here already, it seemed like there was still a long way to go :( Do you have any plans during the 15-months to help mark the time and make it go faster? I like to plan things while H is gone, even if it's just little visits or shopping trips. Maybe you can train for a race??

L said...

I second what S said. I admire your strength. I can't imagine what it's like to be apart for that long. I hope you'll be able to find many fun distractions to make the time not necessarily easier but faster.

L said...

oh and if you give me your email, i won't publish it, but i'll send you a picture. :)