Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Impatiently waiting

Dear DMV,

I visited you two weeks ago today to get a shiny new driver's license with my new married name, and you told me it would take "about two weeks" before I'd get it in the mail.

I know I was apprehensive about the whole name-change thing after I visited the Social Security office. It was just a big change. I don't know if you're trying to give me more time to adjust to my new name, but if that's the case, I don't need it.

I already explained that I felt much better about the whole thing by the end of the very day I'd made the change. So much better, in fact, that I had made peace with it -- I was done with my old name and ready to embrace the new one. I'm loving my Social Security card and the debit card with my fabulous new name on them. (Don't tell anyone this, but sometimes, I even pull them out just to look at my new name, all neatly printed on them. That's how much I like it.)

The Social Security office had told me it would take "about two weeks" to get my updated card from them, but do you know how long it really took? A week. Maybe. So I got my hopes up that "about two weeks" meant the same thing to you.

But it doesn't.

Go figure, since the license is what I'm most excited about. I mean, it has my picture next to it so it's absolutely clear that I am the owner of that fabulous new name. Plus, I go places where people will want to see it.

And who knows? I could even be more photogenic as a Mrs. than in my driver's license pictures as a Ms!

Not that you're in any hurry to put an end to my wait. So I'm going to rush to my mailbox yet again today, and I'll be really disappointed if I don't have any mail from you. Please don't keep me waiting any longer.

Sincerely,
Mrs. K

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I cheated and signed up on the Origins mailing list with Kyle's last name as my own just after we got engaged... now they send me stuff about once a month and I get to receive mail as Courtney Kyle's-Last-Name. It makes my heart leap every time I see it! Boooo on the DMV for making you wait! Jerks!

Katrina said...

Did it come yet? Did it come yet?

I well remember how exciting it was to get everything changed over to my new name. Oh! And practicing different signatures with my new last name to figure out which one looked the coolest (doesn't matter now, though, since it has evolved to pretty much the same illegible scrawl Paul uses!)

a tall sassy gal said...

Geez DMV ...hope you got it today!

jenA said...

What sadistic paper do you work for that they keep your errors on file?
Mine never did; the editor just shook her head and quietly told me that one error or another was not a HUGE deal, but big enough to never do again.