Thursday, November 15, 2007

I'm still here

... just busy, that's all. Last weekend was, as I predicted, crazy. It managed to be even more hectic than I thought. Because it was a week ago, here's a quick rundown:
  • thursday: Work. I left for Louisiana just after 6, so I got there just before 11 because I only stopped once for dinner, gas and a quick bathroom break. I had enough time to lay around and delay the inevitable getting-ready-for-bed process. I finally got in the shower and after spending some time with K, was asleep just before 1.
  • friday: Woke up at 5 to leave with K by 5:30 for his run. Sat in parking lot for 30 minutes waiting for the time to line up with people from his battery. Cheered him on, but didn't have enough hands to wave, take pictures and hold up the three awesome signs I made Wednesday night.
    • After run, met K at the end and headed with him to get my military ID. Took worst photo in the history of the world and was informed by evil woman (who was FRIENDS with K!!!) that "all military ID photos are bad. Get over it."
    • Attempted to get vehicle registered for post, only to learn in my great organizing efforts a couple weeks ago, I filed away my updated registration papers and left my expired ones in my car (Doh!).
    • Went to lunch with K and the guys, and proceeded to spontaneously start crying over the realization that I will be saying goodbye to all of them (who have become good friends) for 15 months.
    • Went to deployment ceremony, where I managed to get K to crack a smile when he was supposed to be stern and at attention (He can't resist me!).
    • Headed to post-ceremony reception, where I told K's roommate and his fiance that I was going to be a good Army wife and meet him at the door with a beer, since I thought he would like that. They looked at my like I was insane, so I decided not tot. I told K about that when he arrived a few minutes later. He would have liked it. That's the last time I listen to his roommate and his fiance.
    • Went to BBQ at our friends' house. Had delicious food and some good girl time while the guys all played Gu!tar Hero. Learned friend's husband makes awesome strawberry daiquiris, so enjoyed several of those. Met a guy friend's new fiance and decided she sucks. Fell asleep on couch at 11:30 after a LONG day.
  • saturday: Woke at 7 a.m. to begin getting K's things ready for the movers. Packers arrived at 9 and finished by 11 (they were fast!). Waited for movers. And waited. They arrived after 1. I left just after 2 so I could pick Piper up in Dallas (we boarded her for the busy weekend). Arrived in Dallas right around 7. Had just enough time to get K's Christmas present before he got here. Started dinner. Ate dinner. Crashed.
  • sunday: Got up at 8:30ish and gave Piper a bath. Got ready for church. Church from 11 to noon, then marriage counseling with the pastor for the Dallas wedding from 1:30 to 2:30. Just before 3:30, left for OK to take K's ginormous TV to my dad rather than leave it in storage for 15 months (especially when K is going to want a new one when he gets back). Had steak dinner with Dad, his girlfriend & my grandparents. Headed home late that night.
  • monday: Worked from home. Thank goodness, since it was such a late night Sunday.

This week at work has been crazy hectic. I've been really tired lately, and I'm finally realizing it's because I'm stressed. This deployment has me all jumbled up.


For the most part, I'm good, but everyone once in a while, I just start tearing up seemingly out of nowhere. The thing is, it's kind of all I can think about. Fifteen months is a long time. And the truth is, I don't even think K is going to be gone that long. I think it'll be close to a year (probably right around there), but 15 months? With the election coming and the Ir@qi troops gradually taking more control, it seems like things are winding down. At the same time, I'd rather them just keep sticking it out rather than rush to finish the job before it's done.


K has a "definite" (like anything's ever definite in the m!litary until it's done!) departure date now. I'm not supposed to share it until he's gone, but there is a date. He's coming here this weekend, which is good. I'll go to Louisiana for Thanksgiving, which will be spent with all the guys there. I've already told K to be prepared -- I'm sure I'll randomly start crying about 50 gazillion times.


This whole deployment thing is so much easier when you only have 10 days' notice.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Ugh. I'm sorry you're stressed.

In other news, I'm watching the Oklahoma game right now... double ugh, this can't be helping.

I'm thinking about you! Hope you're doing well.

L said...

Wow, you really have had a stressful and busy weekend! I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed by the upcoming deployment. I hope he isn't gone long!