Saturday, June 21, 2008

Night in + romantic movie + glass of wine = confessions

These are a few months old, but they haven't been shared before, so here goes:

1) A few months back, I was taking a quick mental break at work by checking MySpace. I was reading one of those "deep" bulletin surveys a friend had posted. Like I always do when I read those, I considered my answers to the questions as I went along. I got to one that asked, "Are you living your life to the fullest?" My answer was no. And I was OK with that for right now.

2) In late January, when I had my one-year anniversary at work, I took a picture of the first-year gift we're given and sent it to K. He sent me an email telling me he was proud of me. What he meant as a nice email actually kind of ruined my night.

All I'd done was stay at my job for a year. It's not like I'd never done that before. I hadn't been promoted. I had just stayed at a job I loved for a year -- a job that lets me bring my dog to the office, wear jeans whenever I want, and have a beer at my desk if I want to, every single day. Who would leave that?

The fact that merely staying in such a great environment for a year had K telling me he was proud made me feel like I haven't done much to make him proud to begin with. He's on the other side of the planet doing amazing things. The things he's done and the things he has ahead of him are wonderful. He has the respect of the soldiers he works around, his peers and his superiors. I never would have imagined I could be so proud of the man I'd marry.

And I sit at a desk all day, saving the world from superfluous commas. Funny how having such a bad-ass husband puts your life in perspective.


On a side note, Piper barks and heads to the door when a doorbell rings on TV. I don't have a doorbell. It's weird the things they pick up on.

OK, time for bed.

1 comment:

a tall sassy gal said...

Girl you still have a lot to be proudn of...I know it seems compared to what K is doing it is nothing but it is something.

Piper is funny! :)