Wednesday, June 04, 2008

There really are pictures, and they really are coming

I got back from Florida on Monday morning. I now owe you even more pictures than I did before. But because my computer freakin' sucks (dude, don't get a D.ell), you'll have to wait a little bit longer to get them. But they really are coming. I promise. And you know I'm good for it.

Since I last posted, Memorial Day came and went. I worked a bit on the weekend, but I also managed to find plenty of time for BBQs and time around the pool. Someone stole my sunglasses, which sucked. I didn't realize how much I loved them until they were gone. I bought them with K in October while he was on his R&R before the deployment. So whoever stole them? I'm pretty sure it'll bite you in the butt. Stealing sunglasses with pre-deployment sentimental value from an Army wife on Memorial Day weekend while her husband is deployed? Oh, karma will surely be bad.

Sunday, my boss had a pool party at her house. I hadn't been there 5 minutes when K called -- go figure. I was able to talk to him for a few minutes. The news about his cousin had hit him pretty hard, but he was doing well, considering. We only talked for a few minutes since the call was kind of at a bad time.

Last week itself was kind of a blur. Every night was busy! Tuesday night, I did my standard workout, followed by a 4-mile run in 90 degree weather (that's the temp, not the heat index). Wednesday night, I hosted an Arbo.nne party for Miss Elle at my apartment. It was kind of funny to have so many worlds collide like that. Heather and Elle were there from Blogland; ER came; and Topeka, Brit, and AJ were there too. Many of them hadn't met before, so that was fun. Elle did such a great job!

On Thursday, I went to the movies with ER at 12:02 a.m. (so I guess it was technically Friday morning) to see Sex and the City. I had planned on waiting, but when ER's friend she was originally supposed to go with cancelled, I told ER I'd go. It meant that I only got a little over 3 hours of sleep since I had so much to do that night, but I'm glad I went. It was good to catch up with ER, and it was a good movie!

Friday, I got a small promotion. It came with a very welcome 6-plus percent raise. Sweet!

That afternoon, I flew to Orlando to meet two Army wife friends. Ry is from NYC, and she's married to one of K's former lieutenants. Katy is actually an Army fiance. She lives in Daytona. Her fiance came home on his R&R in March. He's getting out of the Army when they get back from Iraq, so he and Katy went house hunting while he was home. They found and bought a gorgeous house, so Ry and I had to go check it out!

Ry's flight arrived earlier than mine, so she and Katy met me at the baggage claim, and we immediately headed to see SATC, since they hadn't seen it yet. Saturday was spent lying around the pool for the first part of the day. Then, we headed to the beach to play in the water and see the shuttle launch. That night, we went out for dinner and then to a gay bar (my first time). The bar was OK, but there weren't many people there. There were also many more straight people than I'd expected. I'll have to give it another shot in Dallas, I guess.

After we got home, we got in the pool for a little bit. Ry was ready to call it a night at about 3:00 a.m. Katy got this crazy idea to stay up and watch the sun rise on the beach, so after some convincing, Ry and I climbed into the car and headed to the beach with her. We took a couple blankets so we could lie on one and use the other for cover. Ry and I definitely napped for a while! I woke up about 20 minutes before sunrise. I talked to Katy for awhile until it was time to wake Ry. The sunrise was gorgeous. Since I had gone all the way out there to watch it, I made sure it was very well documented.

We stopped off for some breakfast and then headed back to Katy's, where we promptly went to sleep. We spent the afternoon in the pool again. That night, we ordered Chinese takeout and watched cheesy TV shows and movies. It was crazy to see how quickly the weekend had gone. It was relaxing, though. I needed the getaway!

Monday was back to work and my regular schedule. I heard from K that night, so I got to tell him all about our trip.

The week isn't quite back to normal yet, though. I'm going to dinner with ER tomorrow night, and then I have to pack for the weekend. I leave Friday for Heather's wedding. Obviously since it's a wedding, it's not quite a vacation and I won't quite be by myself, but this will be the closest to a vacation that I've ever taken by myself. We'll see how it goes.

I'm looking forward to it, though. I'm excited for Heather and B, and I know the wedding will be gorgeous. I'm renting a car, so I plan on doing plenty of sight seeing -- and taking plenty of pictures.

I swear, when I finally get around to it, this is gonna be one hell of a picture post!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun and keeping yourself busy! September will be here so fast! :)

Pink Sun Drops said...

6% raise for a SMALL promotion? Dang, I wonder what a large promotion would garnish.

So awesome you threw a party for Ar.bonne!! And how fun that you are going to Heather's wedding and taking a road trip!! Drive safe girl!

Pink Sun Drops said...

And congrats on the promotion by the way!! I was so in awe of the 6% raise (and thinking about what that would do for us if it was in our case : ) I forgot to mention that.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the promotion!! Sounds like you had a great mini vacation in Florida!! Can't wait for the huge picture post :)

L said...

Congratulations on your promotion!

Your weekend sounds like a lot of fun. Typically I like to stay active on vacations, but when I was in Florida, it was so wonderful to just lay around by the pool every day. I love the spontaneity of going to watch the sun rise, too.

I hope to see SATC soon, because I've heard it's pretty good. Apparently there are a couple of parts that remind my friend of me . . I think the part where the girl is imagining what she'd say if she ran into the guy - you know, not that I ever rehearse hypothetical moments in my mind. :)